UKC

Creep, is this a better cover?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 03 Sep 2014
Not many covers are good but just heard this one on Radio 2.

Not work safe for a few swear words.

youtube.com/watch?v=3Ado5PMjr5k&
 PeterM 03 Sep 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Creep, is this a better cover? - No.
 Tony the Blade 03 Sep 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

> Creep, is this a better cover?

Absolutely not, not even close.

It'll sound great to the suckers that love a harmony though.
 Alyson 03 Sep 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Sung prettily and stripped of personality. You can't have a choir singing 'I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo' and it still mean anything.
 Blue Straggler 03 Sep 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

What do you mean by "a better cover"? A cover better than the original, or a cover better than another cover?
 Blue Straggler 03 Sep 2014
In reply to Alyson:

> You can't have a choir singing 'I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo' and it still mean anything.

Seriously? You don't think any ensemble can represent a first-person sentiment, even as a chorus?
So you wouldn't like The London Community Gospel Choir echoing Jason's refrain "Lord, Can You Hear Me?" on the Spiritualized song of that name?

Blimey

d_b 03 Sep 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Talking of bad covers, I heard an absolutely dire version of "Losing my religion" on the radio a couple of days ago. No idea who sung it, but I don't really want to hear it again.
 jezb1 03 Sep 2014
In reply to Tony the Blade:

> Absolutely not, not even close.

^ This

Dan_S 03 Sep 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

This is better by a country mile....

youtube.com/watch?v=hXlzci1rKNM&
OP The Lemming 03 Sep 2014
In reply to Dan_S:

You can't say that bloke was not pouring his soul into that version.

Hope the tw*t who coughed towards the end was taken out and given a damb good beating.
In reply to The Lemming:

What is so truly creepy about this is that here is a musical ensemble, who would no doubt sneer at anyone worshipping anything greater or other than themselves, singing a paean to themselves, a hymn to the ego/the self - and, wait for it – sung in exactly the style of a gospel hymn! It beggars belief.
In reply to The Lemming:

The basic message seems to be 'We are so f*cking wonderful, aren't we?' and 'we're revelling in our wondrousness' ... without there being a hint of doubt, or any intimation whatever, just how dangerous their self-indulgent self-worship might be.
 mrsphene 03 Sep 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

The original Creep is great, as is the one you mention, but I'm afraid I also love this one:

youtube.com/watch?v=3jjiO4DcGMY&

Listen at your peril...
OP The Lemming 03 Sep 2014
In reply to mrsphene:

That was fabulous.

And I raise you Mr Flowers

youtube.com/watch?v=Vy1ueZf1WMQ&
 AdrianC 03 Sep 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Well what about amanda Palmer's version?

youtube.com/watch?v=1ogNJkXGd0w&

And while we're on, here's her No Surprises...

youtube.com/watch?v=uAk93YZgTts&
 Dom Whillans 03 Sep 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

i always liked this version... youtube.com/watch?v=LlZydtG3xqI&
 ThunderCat 03 Sep 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

This is a nice accoustic version of it

youtube.com/watch?v=QgKVSYrT9Bs&

I've never heard of the movie in the background but I think the actress has a really interesting face
 Bobling 03 Sep 2014
In reply to mrsphene:

Hah - you got there before me "Whistle Solo!"
 Alyson 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Seriously? You don't think any ensemble can represent a first-person sentiment, even as a chorus?

> So you wouldn't like The London Community Gospel Choir echoing Jason's refrain "Lord, Can You Hear Me?" on the Spiritualized song of that name?

> Blimey

That's not at all what I said though, is it? I'm talking about this particular song, these lyrics.

'What the hell am I doing here? I don't belong here'. Well clearly you do, you're stood in a group of 50 other people and you're all wearing matching clothes. All that painful feeling of being a misfit, that angst, is diluted.
 Mike Peacock 22 Sep 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

There's always the Kid 606 remix.
youtube.com/watch?v=m0fO5gblvEA&
 Bulls Crack 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

err not keen on choirs Gordon?
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> err not keen on choirs Gordon?

That wasn't my point. I like choral music very much in certain contexts, and even as backing, but here we've got crazily mixed genres. It's a bit like hearing a (straight/unsatirical) nursery rhyme extolling the virtues of the Stock Exchange.
 aln 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> So you wouldn't like The London Community Gospel Choir echoing Jason's refrain "Lord, Can You Hear Me?" on the Spiritualized song of that name?

That's a great song and it works on that. The Creep cover is overblown rubbish.
 Brendan H 23 Sep 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

How about this version;
youtube.com/watch?v=7j-yJixxh10&
 anonymouse 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Alyson:

> Sung prettily and stripped of personality. You can't have a choir singing 'I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo' and it still mean anything.

Yup. On the other hand, having a choir sing it brings out the hymnlike prayerlike quality of it. That species of music in which man admits to god that he is not worthy - a wormful of sin, slimy, low and base - but pleads to be loved anyway. I'm going to choose to appreciate this as a kind of satire.
 Chris the Tall 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Alyson:

> Sung prettily and stripped of personality. You can't have a choir singing 'I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo' and it still mean anything.

Agree, but I'm not a bit fan of the song anyway - they have done so much better stuff.

Then again I've just discovered that The Darkness have done a cover of Street Spirit and I'm reconsidering my opposition to the death penalty

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...