UKC

Conditions on Piz Badile

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Taylor 03 Sep 2014
Planning a trip out to Bregalia in mid September. Does anyone know if crampons etc are needed to get onto the Cassin? When one of my friends did it a few years ago he only needed approach shoes. I have been told the summer in that region wasn't very good.
 nick bamber 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Andy Taylor:

I'd second that as I cant find anything on conditions and we fly on the 16th of September
 CurlyStevo 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Andy Taylor:
The thing to do is to ring the hut on the Swiss approach and ask them. We did this last year and they gave us pretty accurate info on the state of the ridge.

Alternatively the hut on the italian side may also have more info.

What is your plan for descending?
Post edited at 14:32
 dsgarner 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Andy Taylor:

We went there end of July and used approach shoes and walking spikes (grivel spiders)
 beardy mike 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Andy Taylor:

Bear in mind that the face can become an ice rink in no time. Having been on it in these conditions I would say a pair of crampons which you can climb in between a pair is essential as in a storm a helicopter cannot pick people up from the face as their cables aren't long enough, so to be rescued you must get to the ridge. Its not a place you want to weather a serious storm because you couldn't be arsed to carry a bit of extra gear...
OP Andy Taylor 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Andy Taylor:

Thanks for the replies- will ring the hut. Planning on going down Italian side.
 CurlyStevo 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Andy Taylor:
Will you be walking back over the mountain passes from the Italian hut to the swiss side? If so maybe yll need to check these are passable without crampons too. When we did it we abbed and scrambled back down the north ridge to the Swiss side (although when we hit the top of another day in paradise we abbed down that which we only did as we had another party behind us, if our ropes had jammed we may not have been able to climb back up)
Post edited at 05:49

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...