UKC

Rockfall at Hawkcraig/Aberdour

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hay 04 Sep 2014
Hi,
Just a quick message of caution.
A fairly large block came down from the top area of Saki yesterday taking a few other bits down with it. All landed squarely on the belaying area, fortunately I was seconding so no-one was standing there.
I think this is the second big block this month so care is needed up there. I will endeavor to get back and have a look with a pry bar at some stage.
Bruce
 Derek Jamieson 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Hay:

Can't say I'm too surprised, the tops of all the routes just to the right of Gaucho were always pretty suspect.

Derek
 sjminfife 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Hay:

Thanks for the update.

Just to the left is "Slack Alice" and I've avoided that area for years after a worrying experience on that route.
sjm

CurlyStevo 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Hay:
Generally the top of hawkcraig is pretty dodgey. There are some massive blocks that vibrate or wobble. I think all the rock is a bit suspect I've had a large piece come off once when seconding only a few metres up from the ground, whilst there was a hairline crack it looked and felt well bonded to me. Others have similar stories. I don't hold that against the place, I like the climbing there.
Post edited at 09:15
 IanMcC 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Hay: Can't say I'm that surprised. Glad to hear you're OK. You can maybe start up a wee business trundling lumps of loose dolerite around central Scotland. You'll get plenty or work!
 DannyC 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Hay:

Cheers for posting. We did Saki on Saturday and the top section was definitely a little suspect - especially a large flake on the right.
 Joak 04 Sep 2014
In reply to DannyC:

I think we met on Saturday..... hope your "on call" pager stayed silent
 DannyC 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Joak:

Haha - that was me. And it did, thanks!

We ran away to Limekilns after a few routes at Aberdour. Too bloody windy!

Hope you'd a good day,
Danny
 Joak 04 Sep 2014
In reply to DannyC:

We braved the winds and some lose rock and climbed half a dozen routes before the incoming tide lapping at our feet stopped play. I wasn't so lucky on the job front though, I got nabbed for an overtime Sunday nightshift. I played the system.....and the system won!!
OP Hay 04 Sep 2014
In reply to IanMcC:
Aye, scary stuff. The right side if the top out is basically a tottering pile of shit-ite. Left of the finish to Gunga Din has a few belters too. Avoidable but also covered in chalk. Still a lovely place on a fine day though.
B.

NottsRich 05 Sep 2014
In reply to sjminfife:

Slack Alice scared me silly as well!
 DannyC 05 Sep 2014

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...