UKC

Climbing photos - UKC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greenbanks 04 Sep 2014
Anyone on here get a bit frustrated when photos of action or crags are posted without details of the route? Seems this frequently happens with (eg) from personal Facebook pages, and those that have been imported from elsewhere.
Many of these photos are really good & whet the appetite: the absence of location/climb really brasses me off.
Is it me?
In reply to Greenbanks:

It is extremely frustrating for us. We pretty much force people to at least have a go at saying which crag the photo is on, however we don't 'require' a route name. It would be much better for the system if people did add route names though so we may start trying to point people down this route although it is a difficult balance to get right to avoid uploading photos becoming too much hassle.

The Rockfax app (in final stages of preparation) links to the Logbook database and can download any photo linked to a particular route. Photos that don't have route names submitted with them will be missed by this since they aren't linked to a particular route.

Alan
Doug Kerr 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> The Rockfax app (in final stages of preparation) links to the Logbook database and can download any photo linked to a particular route. Photos that don't have route names submitted with them will be missed by this since they aren't linked to a particular route.

Is that the Rockfax app linking to the UKC logbook database and UKC photos?

OP Greenbanks 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

It wasn't a dig at UKC Alan - more at those posting this stuff. As I say, you see a photo of a 'route' & it catches your eye & you start thinking mmm, I quite fancy the look of that. I know you can often contact the poster directly, but usually I tend to be too busy to go all round the houses.
Maybe, though, if I feel so strongly about it and be more proactive - I can contact all those putting photos of un-named routes each time it happens: gradually wear 'em down!
In reply to Doug Kerr:

Yep, that's the one. Quite amazing how many photos of routes there are when flicking through the crags.
 The Pylon King 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

Its the sideways or upside down photos people post that get me.
In reply to The Pylon King:

More irritating are those that have a not-so-subtle subtle tilt, to create the ambience of an E-horror on VD territory
 Chris Harris 04 Sep 2014
 Fraser 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

Agreed, but you could always just post a comment asking for details. The sideways photos really annoy me too though!
In reply to Fraser:

As I suggested. I'm going to start a campaign!!

))
 Mike-W-99 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:
Think the sideways ones are down to buggy exif data. I've done some work on this before and you can't always believe what the camera writes to it.
Post edited at 15:15
 Michael Hood 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

Annoys me when they do it in the magazines, all action photos including the adverts should state place/mountain/crag route & grade as appropriate.
In reply to Greenbanks:

Its not just you - I also find it irritating. It also applys to the Re - Tweets that are on the RHS of the home screen. Lots of those have no information about location.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...