UKC

Castle Rock Of Triermain North Crag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sparkass 05 Sep 2014
I was up at North Crag on Wednesdayand reckon the crag has moved about 6mm in a month. Anyone monitoring this and can you provide give a more accurate update?

Either way it gave me a wee fright! Might be worth heeding the warning signs?
 Bob 05 Sep 2014
In reply to sparkass:

How come the precise measurement? Is there a marker of some kind that you can check?
In reply to sparkass:

or does he mean 6m?
 goose299 05 Sep 2014
In reply to unclesamsauntibess:

If it'd moved 6m, it would have gone, I'd say
 Rick Graham 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Bob:

There are "tell tales " fixed across the crack, like used to monitor building movement. seen a photo somewhere, will have a look later.

Just wish the bloody thing would drop off, at least its not on my usual commute ATM so evening routes are elsewhere.
 Bob 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Rick Graham:
Ah, thought there might be something like that. Presumably the OP had recorded the previous value

We might be over your way tomorrow BTW.
Post edited at 16:36
 3leggeddog 05 Sep 2014
In reply to sparkass:

If the decision is ever taken to trundle the block, I will be looking on from somewhere on high rig with a pizza and a bottle of wine
 John Kelly 05 Sep 2014
In reply to sparkass:

Bags of new routes just under that block
johnbrown 05 Sep 2014
reply to MFB
Unfortunately we would lose one of the great VS /HVS classics of the Lake District ! Any rock exposed would probably take years to be safe enough to establish new routes!

pec 05 Sep 2014
In reply to sparkass:

Isn't there a house down near the road which could potentially be in the firing line? When that block goes the trees below the crag won't stop it.
OP sparkass 05 Sep 2014
In reply to sparkass:

It'll be a great shame to lose both overhanging bastion and north crag eliminate, both incredible!

I have been pretty much ignoring the warnings because there are cracks everywhere and we climb all over them, but I got a shock how much it seems to be moving.

Greenbanks 06 Sep 2014
In reply to sparkass:

I reckon we ought to start posting 'Last ascent' of some of these routes, in much the same way as we have 'News' items about 'First Ascents'. Wonder how long folk will continue to chance it? I've thought the same about some of the Trowbarrow routes...(and most of the Culm!)
 Michael Gordon 06 Sep 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

Maybe some are waiting for the grades to go up?
 Dave Ferguson 06 Sep 2014
In reply to Michael Gordon:
> (In reply to Greenbanks)
>
> Maybe some are waiting for the grades to go up?

Its already happened, agony HVS to E2
E3 for the objective danger?
In reply to sparkass:

Leading OHB and seconding NCE was the highlight of an amazing Lakes weekend in 1977. I also led parts of Deer Bield Buttress & Crack which have now also fallen down. I would watch Praying Mantis on Goat and Dedication on Falcon as they were also on that itinerary.
slinky wizard 06 Sep 2014
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Is it safe to climb North Crag Eliminate still ???
 Rob Parsons 06 Sep 2014
In reply to slinky wizard:

> Is it safe to climb North Crag Eliminate still ???

Nobody can tell you that. That area of the crag is threatened by the growing crack which is the subject of this thread. Make your own asessment.
In reply to sparkass:

course it's safe (NCE) it's not fallen down yet.
 3leggeddog 06 Sep 2014
In reply to Dave Ferguson:

That's another one of them then. If I never climb again, I will have climbed E5 before I die
 Ron Kenyon 12 Sep 2014
In reply to sparkass:

The crack is being monitored (as illustated) and there is possibly a geological survey to be done to try and ascertain what is going on. Signs have been erected to warn about this but not stopping anyone from climbing OB or NCE etc. It is possible to go off right at the end of the gangway pitch on OB and miss out the top pitch !
The area is probably safe - as long as that block stays in place - but no one know when it will go. The sooner it goes the better as far as I am concerned then at least we know where we are - it could be tonight or could be ten years time - at the present time no one knows.
Climb there at your peril !
 John Kelly 12 Sep 2014
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

who is doing the monitoring and do they publish there findings anywhere?
 Al Evans 12 Sep 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

> I reckon we ought to start posting 'Last ascent' of some of these routes, in much the same way as we have 'News' items about 'First Ascents'. Wonder how long folk will continue to chance it? I've thought the same about some of the Trowbarrow routes...(and most of the Culm!)

The Trowbarrow routes have been falling down for almost 40 years!
 Ron Kenyon 14 Sep 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

The results are taken but not published.

There is more movement on the crack down the left side of the crag - than at the top which is rather confusing. This is from visuals not monitors.

Will be interesting to find out once/if these geological survey is done.
 John Kelly 14 Sep 2014
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

thanks for that

it would be grand to see a simple motion over time, table or graph if that was possible

cheers john

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...