UKC

Cheap tablet as external monitor?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fraser 05 Sep 2014
In theory, if I were to get a cheap tablet with an HDMI port, could I connect it to my DSLR and use it as an external monitor? Say I wanted to mount the camera on top of a fairly long, sturdy pole, could I simply run an HDMI cable down it, frame the shot via the tablet, then remotely (or via cable) trigger the shutter?
 ebygomm 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Fraser:

Surely the HDMI port on a tablet is output only?
 Luke90 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Fraser:
ebygomm is right. The HDMI port on a tablet is only for output, not input. You won't be able to use it like that.

Some DSLRs have apps for smartphones/tablets that let you connect to the camera by WiFi and use the screen as a viewfinder. You can then also use the app to trigger the shutter. I've tried it with a Canon 70D and an Android phone, it was a bit clunky but it worked.
Post edited at 13:46
 richprideaux 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Fraser:

Works for me with the USB cable, a USB and micro USB adapter and suitable app on my Samsung tablet. That's with a D3200
 Ciro 05 Sep 2014
You can get 7" monitors on ebay for about £20, although you'd obviously need to add a battery pack to that.
 rallymania 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Fraser:

a quick google and you get...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dslr.dashboard&hl=en_...

oddly i was looking at this exact thing for my canon 600d just the other night after messing about with the USB controller app for windows.

being able to control the camera as well as using it as a monitor seems like a major plus
OP Fraser 05 Sep 2014
In reply to rallymania & all:

Thanks for the comments and suggestions folks, lots of food for thought there. Hasn't realised that about the HDMI port so thanks for explaining that.
 rallymania 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Fraser:

did you do anything further on this Fraser?

got another nikon pal asking me a similar question this morning
OP Fraser 03 Oct 2014
In reply to rallymania:

Hi Al, no, nothing actioned on this front yet I'm afraid.

Qu: any idea what a "PTP compatible camera" is? (it's noted on the datasheet for the app. referred to above)

rallymania 14 Oct 2014
In reply to Fraser:
well i took the plunge myself on this.

canon 600d
acer iconia 8" android tablet
a USB OTG adapter i already had for my phone (lets you plug a usb thumb drive into the USB port on your phone / tablet (think it was about £5 for a samsung one, but there as little as £3 on amazon incl postage)
the USB cable that came with my camera
dslr controller app from the play store (£5.94)

first impressions are very good. (it doesn't like you having a back button set as focus lock and complains about it, but that is a 5/10 second to reprogram the custom setting)

haven't used it outside yet, thinking some sort of mounting bracket to attach it to the tripod might be worth while.

will try and get outside over the weekend if it's dry and try it in "anger"
Post edited at 11:04
OP Fraser 14 Oct 2014
In reply to rallymania:

Sounds good Al. I'd be interested in hearing how you get on out in the field.
 wilkie14c 14 Oct 2014
In reply to Fraser:

Tesco have just launched the HUDL 2. could be worth a look
OP Fraser 15 Oct 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Yes, I saw that thanks, I must remember to take a peek next time I'm in. Are they generally considered quite reasonable? Will search that qu. on here first, of course!
 wilkie14c 15 Oct 2014
In reply to Fraser:

I've not took a look myself however I've read that the fist hudl had all kinds of problems and these have been addressed in the 2nd gen. Compared to the 7 inch samsung tab 3 (£130) you are getting a lot more bang for you money with the hudl although there are some minor trade offs (who uses a tablet as a camera anyway?)
http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/09/tesco-hudl-2-should-you-buy-tescos-newest-tab...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...