UKC

Auf Weidersen Pet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andymac 05 Sep 2014
What a great programme .

Was only 8 when it started ,so wasn't something I watched.

Watching a DVD box set of it atm.

Great characters,great acting and good crack.

But they are terrible tradesman.

I remember The German site manager as Mr Bronson from Grange Hill .

Saddest discovery so far,is that the actor that played Wayne the joiner died half way through the second series. He was good .

ThunderCat 05 Sep 2014
In reply to andymac:

Great show wasn't it.

I remember being allowed to stay up and watch it when it was first on (think it was 'just' after my bedtime)

I heard the end theme tune ("living alright") on the radio recently and it gave me that instinctive "oh shit it's time to go to bed now" flashback / feeling even after all these years

squarepeg 05 Sep 2014
In reply to andymac:

Kevin Lloyd is in an episode of 2nd series (Tosh from the Bill). He is dead too. As is Pat Roach (Bomber)
 ThunderCat 05 Sep 2014
In reply to squarepeg:

> Kevin Lloyd is in an episode of 2nd series (Tosh from the Bill).

Yeah. "I'm plumb crazy!"

He was a plumber...

In reply to andymac:

I loved it (aged about 11) but not sure if I'd like now...has it stood the test of time?

Similarly I recently started watching episodes of Boon which I really enjoyed!
 Rubbishy 05 Sep 2014
In reply to andymac:

Economic migrants, moving across the EU to fin work, Disgusting oh hang on........
andymac 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:

Would say it was timeless.

How could Nev leave Brenda to go and work in Germany?

Poor bugger.
In reply to andymac:

She was long suffering wasn't she?

One of my most vivid recollections of the programme was Barry saying something about the "West Bromwich and District Building Society" in the most wonderful black country accent...strange what you remember 30 years on!
andymac 05 Sep 2014
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:

Watched that Half an hour ago.

Barry the radish.

Talented actor.

drmarten 05 Sep 2014
In reply to andymac:

I remember it well, a good programme although I've not seen it for a few years. Gary Holton (Wayne) was also a musician, there's footage of him on The Tube with Leslie Ash(?), I don't think his acting was much out of character.
youtube.com/watch?v=d5A4-B1mU8o&

I made a recent post regarding Boys From The Black Stuff, they are from a similar period and share some similarities, they both remind me of what is now a different era.
 ali_mac 06 Sep 2014
In reply to drmarten:

very different era; boys from the black stuff was a wake up call to my own teenage years. very dark humour which i found immensely shocking, as it portrayed life as such a struggle.
 Greenbanks 06 Sep 2014
In reply to andymac:

Seen him as JMW Turner yet? Excellent...
 aln 06 Sep 2014
In reply to ali_mac:

boys from the black stuff was a wake up call to my own teenage years. very dark humour

The darkest. One of the all time best characters in Yosser Hughes. One of the best ever lines, in the confessional, "I'm desperate, Dan." A TV show that could make you laugh and cry at the same time, whilst engaging your brain.

Yanis Nayu 06 Sep 2014
In reply to andymac:

I loved it. It was one of those programmes that if you missed it, you had nothing to talk about at school. I think it would still be good and funny now, unlike The Young Ones, which was another unmissable programme from my teenage years.

Barry: "D'yow wanna cum back to ower hut?"

Brilliant. I really want to watch it again...
 ThunderCat 06 Sep 2014
In reply to Malcolm Tucker's Sweary Aunt:

Timothy Spall played a great role didn't he.

I never quite understood what a 'radish' was though...? He often got referred to as one in the show, and I assumed it meant 'a little bit gay'.

estivoautumnal 06 Sep 2014
In reply to andymac:

Classic joke from the series.

You know the difference between a hedgehog and a range rover?
No?
A hedgehog has the pricks on the outside.
 FactorXXX 06 Sep 2014
In reply to ThunderCat:

I never quite understood what a 'radish' was though...? He often got referred to as one in the show, and I assumed it meant 'a little bit gay'.

I thought it was a reference to his appearance.
 squarepeg 06 Sep 2014
In reply to andymac:

black country insult?
 ThunderCat 06 Sep 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:

What, a bit red? I thought maybe that as well.

Urban dictionary describes it as 'fool / idiot'.

Dunno. I've just never heard it used except on the show.

Tim Sparrow 06 Sep 2014
In reply to andymac:

Used to watch this out on the oil rigs in the early 80s. Cult watching - we all felt empathy with them (though not all of the rig workers understood empathy )
andymac 07 Sep 2014
In reply to andymac:

Watched the episode where McGowan ( Michael Elphick) gets kicked out of his hostel earlier.

Oz charitably invites him to stay in the hut.Pmsl

Class.

In reply to andymac:

> Would say it was timeless.

Absolutely timeless, just like other age old classics such as The Likely Lads and Porridge which were also written by the magnificent Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais. These blokes deserve to be knighted for their outstanding contribution to the entertainment industry.

blurty 08 Sep 2014
In reply to andymac:

Barry saying 'I'm not a bloody gremlin you know'

Superb
andymac 08 Sep 2014
In reply to blurty:
I'm on series 2 now.

Highlights so far ;

Ally Fraser . Brilliantly played .after Oz sticks the head on Big Baz and gives him a pasting the impressed Fraser exclaims; "there's not many that can chin Big Baz.make him the charge hand"

Also the fight scene where Frasers heavies come to end the strike ,Moxey is trying to Restrain one of the heavies .in the heat of battle Albert Moxey (convicted arsonist) asks;

"Anyone got a match?
I'll set fire to this bastard"

Great characters everywhere you look.
Post edited at 19:27

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...