UKC

out of bounds?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 French Erick 06 Sep 2014
Local caves could potentially be promising but a quick search on them brought this up:
"It should be pointed out this section of coast is also a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) ~ which means the shore and caves are protected by law under the control of Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH). This means that it would be illegal to disturb animals using the caves or shore or to damage the fabric of the caves in any way without the permission of SNH and the relevant landowner."

It is a spot used a lot by people (remnants of fires...). Anyone here could give some feedback for a spot of bouldering there?
 aln 06 Sep 2014
In reply to French Erick:

You should definitely go bouldering there, it's fantastic.
 DaveHK 06 Sep 2014

You might have more luck if you say where local is!

If you're talking about the ones at Rosemarkie then I know they've been climbed in.

Difficult to be specific without knowing where the 'Local' caves are......

Being an SSSI doesn't necessarily mean 'No climbing'. Quite a few of the famous North Wales climbing sites, including e.g. Idwal and the Great Orme, are within SSSI's, and no doubt so are many more nationwide.

It is unlikely that the bouldering/climbing itself would be a problem unless disturbing e.g. nesting birds or seal or bat colonies. However there are some areas within these sites that are particularly sensitive, and where 'cleaning' routes (including e.g. simply brushing moss off holds) could damage sensitive ecosystems.

Searching the 'Find a crag' function on this site may show whether they have been climbed / 'developed' in the past, but doesn't necessarily indicate that access is allowed. The BMC regional access database would be a good next place to search for any issues, or contact SNH / look on their site.

Or just name the caves so people on here can help !

OP French Erick 07 Sep 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

doh...meant to name them. Cairds cave, rosemarkie.
Who? Thoughts?
I was wondering...unclimbed rock in the uk is like gold dust!
 DaveHK 07 Sep 2014
> (In reply to Dave Kerr)
>
>
> Who? Thoughts?
> I was wondering...unclimbed rock in the uk is like gold dust!

Ben Litser (sp?) I think and probaly Richie B. There were chalked up holds when we walked past. Not the best of rock iirc.

robin mueller 09 Sep 2014

> I was wondering...unclimbed rock in the uk is like gold dust!

You'd think so, but once you start looking it's everywhere!
Rigid Raider 09 Sep 2014

Do you mean unclimbed or unmarked by effin' chalk?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...