UKC

Clips for commuting?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lynsety 06 Sep 2014
What do people think are the best clips for commuting? Enough junctions etc that mean it would be good to be able to get my foot easily and back in without too much bother if possible. Its an old mountain bike so doesn't have to be anything fancy although is a heavy bike so any light bits added are appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

lynsey.
 DaveHK 06 Sep 2014
In reply to Lynsety:

Do you mean old fashioned toe clips? If you want to go down that route any thing will do as you're unlikely to be doing them up tight between junctions.
OP Lynsety 06 Sep 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Oh sorry. Meant the clipless pedals. Is that what you call them?
 DaveHK 06 Sep 2014
In reply to Lynsety:
Yes, clipless pedals.

Have you got shoes that take cleats?

It's hard to go wrong with bottom of the range Shimano MTB ones. Can be picked up for about 25 quid and they last forever. If you're unsure start with them on a very loose setting.
Post edited at 21:23
OP Lynsety 06 Sep 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

I've only got road bike ones.
OP Lynsety 06 Sep 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Not got any shoes, just the specific road bike shoes and cleats. Do you need specific mountain biking shoes?
MarkM 06 Sep 2014
In reply to Lynsety:

I use my old rigid mtb to commute to work and have been very impressed by the diagonal 'restraps' http://restrap.co.uk/shop/straps/diagonal-straps. You can then use wear trainers or any foot wear really. They lock off and release easily once you get used to them - not quite as efficient as clipless pedals but the convenience outweighs that for me (it's not a really long commute) and I can go hop on the bike for a trip into town without having to think about whether you have the right foot wear.

Cheers
Mark
 Stig 06 Sep 2014
In reply to Lynsety:

Hi

You want Shimano M520 - they are £15 so virtually disposable but last for ages with no maintenance.

The two main advantages of MTB style pedals are that the cleats are recessed so don't get damaged and are easier to walk in. And probably more importantly are double sided so much easier to clip into.

Anyway you'll never look back - probably the best upgrade you can make to a bike.
 Chris the Tall 06 Sep 2014
In reply to Lynsety:

Specialized Tahoes shoes and sPd pedals have served me well for years, for everything from 12 hours MTBing to a 10 minute commute. I've now gone for slightly stiffer shoes for road biking - but still SPDs.
 LastBoyScout 06 Sep 2014
In reply to MarkM:

Those are a rip off of Power Grips - and I'll be sticking with SPD-SL on the commuter bike and flats on the pub bike.
Removed User 06 Sep 2014
In reply to Lynsety:

SPDs are a no brainer. Recessed cleats mean no walking like a tw*t.
In reply to Removed User:

> SPDs are a no brainer. Recessed cleats mean no walking like a tw*t.

This ^. SPDs are the way to go: big range of shoe types to choose from, like trainer type lace-ups, semi-smart non-trainer to road-race type shoes. I've used all sorts with the same pedals on all my bikes since 1997. Road-bike specific ones mean no choice but road-race type shoes with ridiculous terminator style walking. And there's no massive benefit to them even on the bike.
 Timmd 07 Sep 2014
In reply to Lynsety:
Make sure you know how to set them up correctly so you avoid getting dodgy knees.

MTB flat pedals and sticky soled trainers are another alternative, quite handy for shop stops and general city faffing where comfier foot ware can be nice.

There's no reason why you should get dodgy knees...
Post edited at 15:29
MarkM 07 Sep 2014
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Those are a rip off of Power Grips - and I'll be sticking with SPD-SL on the commuter bike and flats on the pub bike.

Yes, exactly the same concept but wider straps (so more comfortable) and harder wearing . But if your pub and commuter bike are the same (I have to 'get by' with just the 4 bikes at the moment!) and it isn't a long commute then well worth considering from my experience.
 Michael-H 07 Sep 2014
In reply to Lynsety:

I've found the cheap 15 quid shimano pedals very easy to get on with after being a bit worried about trying clipless for the first time on my new road bike, they're easy to get in and out of with the tension screw backed right off, and have a bit of movement for your foot to rotate slightly, have tightened the tension a little bit more now I have used them on a few rides.
having a bit of a practice clipping in and out on a quiet, flat road is a good plan, but you get used to them very soon.
 The Potato 07 Sep 2014
In reply to Lynsety:

the shimano Pd A520 are decent - ive got a pair you could have for £10 including postage if you like, they are SPD pedals so just need some spd shoes with recessed cleats
 LastBoyScout 08 Sep 2014
In reply to MarkM:

Try Shimano M324 - I'm considering putting them on the pub bike, as my sister has a set she doesn't use.
 Toerag 08 Sep 2014
In reply to Lynsety:

I use old-fashioned toeclips, but remove the straps - you're only trying to stop your feet flying off the front of the pedals and the plastic 'cage' does that well enough.
 The Potato 08 Sep 2014
In reply to Toerag:

well on a commuting bike your feet arent going to fly foreward, for road use the main purpose of spds is to allow more efficient pedalling which needs more than the toe part
OP Lynsety 08 Sep 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Hi, thanks for the offer but think I'm going to go with the double sided clipless pedals.
OP Lynsety 08 Sep 2014
In reply to all:

M324 win I reckon, seem ideal for when I don't want my foot clipped in and its a bit icy etc. Thanks!

Swirly 08 Sep 2014
In reply to Lynsety:

I use flat pedals with an SPD clip on one side that I got from decathlon pretty cheaply. My commute is only short with a lot of stop start at junctions and lights so I wanted something easy to use that would let me wear shoes I could walk in (with this set up I don't even need to use cleated shoes although I find it odd riding in normal trainers now).

I swap the pedals for SPD-SLs when holidays start and all my rides are going to be long distances into the country.
 the mist 09 Sep 2014
In reply to Lynsety:

Best to get the Shimano multi release cleats as we'll not the single release if you haven't used them before
MarkM 09 Sep 2014
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Try Shimano M324 - I'm considering putting them on the pub bike, as my sister has a set she doesn't use.

Did consider those but I really like the greater flexibility of different footwear that I can use with the Restraps... both for my commute (which is usually under 5 miles) and the ability to be more attached going down (and back from) the pub. I think there are valid arguments for using a caged SPD but for me I wouldn't change the set-up I'm using for my commuter (I use SPD/Time/Speedplay cleats on my other bikes). There's an added element that I can't really explain but I just find them quite simple and effective but fun to use.
Cheers
Mark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...