UKC

Carnmore cycle possible?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gilliesp 07 Sep 2014
I've seen older (<2013) but conflicting reports on the business of cycling in to Carnmore from Poolewe. Has anyone done it recently and by recently I mean summer/autumn 2014? Google maps (satellite) seems to show a good track most of the way in but it may be just a superimposed graphic rep. Is there estate attitude problems such as gates,fences and notices or possibly hostile reaction from estate workers/managers? Also there are hints that a good publicly funded track exists and it is only frowned upon if you use the adjacent older 'paths'. So, can anyone provide an accurate update on current situation? Thanks.
In reply to gilliesp:

I cycled most of the way to Carnmore at the end of April 2014, got turned back by minging weather. The only problem was a signed detour from the track in the trees which was very boggy and required some pushing. A friend tells me that the path which goes via Loch Maree, whilst being further, is friendlier.
OP gilliesp 07 Sep 2014
In reply to Turdus torquatus:

Thanks for that. I assume it was the trees after Kernsary you were referring to.
In reply to gilliesp:

Yes.
In reply to gilliesp:

We cycled to about halfway in early August (to the second high point in the trail before it veers away from the bothy for a while). It was a very good singletrack trail and all rideable except for a couple of big water bars (I am just an intermediate MTB rider: found the Nevis red downhill hard later in the week). The descent was great. However, it was a wet day and we were just out for a ride with no climbing gear. I think I would probably have pushed quite a bit more on the way up with a heavy sack and (obviously) I don't know what the last bit to the causeway would have been like. On the way up we met a keeper on the gravel road section above the farm. He was friendly and pointed out the way to go. If the Loch Maree track is also good it might make a good loop?
 Bob 09 Sep 2014
In reply to gilliesp:

The track down from Carnmore to Kernsary was used as part of the Highland 550 event this year so either the organisers had permission or it isn't a problem. There were only 30 or so competitors so not exactly a "big" event.

I've seen bikes parked up around the point where the path from the Loch Maree hotel joins. The track is good though there are the obligatory water bars.
OP gilliesp 10 Sep 2014
In reply to harold walmsley:

Cheers for that. If I bike in I would use panniers then a hill sack.
 dave o 10 Sep 2014
In reply to gilliesp:

Did it last week with climbing gear pretty much all the way to the barn with next to no pushing. The second half is narrow but generally well surfaced single track, so would be more challenging with panniers and likely need a few short sections of pushing, but still fine for the main part
OP gilliesp 12 Sep 2014
In reply to dave o:

Sounds as though it's a goer, at least until a good bit after the woods. Ta.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...