UKC

ATC - XP Jerky abseiling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 08 Sep 2014
I use an ATC-XP and like it, except for abseiling, particularly in the first few feet when edging off a stance it is just too grabby. The only solution I can think of is carry another device such as a Bug just for abseiling, can anyone think of a different solution?
 jimtitt 08 Sep 2014
In reply to SCrossley:

Use it in the low power orientation.
J1234 08 Sep 2014
In reply to jimtitt:
Do you back mean to front? I have tried this, but because as the device loads the grippy bit starts touching the rope, particularly on steep abseils, so not really solving the problem, or am I doing something wrong?
Post edited at 07:49
 jimtitt 08 Sep 2014
In reply to SCrossley:

If you really are that light and use such thick ropes that there´s still too much friction then add another karabiner but loose, NOT clipped into your belay loop. All belay plates are to a certain extent grabby when you start especially with a lot of rope hanging below, mostly one just accepts it. Better than too little friction!
 KlaasW 08 Sep 2014
In reply to SCrossley:

Make sure you use a slightly old fashioned thick screw gate not one of the skinny ones. Makes a big difference in friction. Same for when you use the ATC in guide mode.
J1234 08 Sep 2014
In reply to jimtitt:

No, I`m not that light, but it was particularly noticeable on a static rope yesterday which was quite thick.
So solutions, next time when abseiling on my climbing ropes, try back to front, then try extra krab looped through rope and belay device loop but not harness belay loop.
Next time when abseiling on thicker rope, I will first try device in normal position with extra krab, then with back to front and extra krab.
Does this seem reasonable.
Thank you for the advice.
J1234 08 Sep 2014
In reply to KlaasW:

My Krab is made of round quite thick bar.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...