UKC

Belshazzar - is this really only a 5a traverse?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 M000W 08 Sep 2014

On Saturday I was lucky enough to 2nd Belshazzar on Merlin Buttress at Tremadog,
At the end of pitch 2 there is a very thin traverse across a face with a few foot holds and only balance holds for hands. This pitch is given 5a in the guide but it also gives an option to go straight up the (easier) rib at the same grade.
In the logbooks the route is graded from 5a to hard 5b but does not say which way the leader went.
For those who have led the traverse, do you think this is 5a?
Post edited at 12:09
 Ann S 08 Sep 2014
In reply to M000W:

Can only speak as a second to a very competent leader, and the traverse felt 4b/c to me. If it had been 5a I would have been bricking it. The traverse needed a bit of gardening, but I thought it was one of the best routes I have followed at Tremadoc.
 jezb1 09 Sep 2014
In reply to Ann S:

I lead it last year, really enjoyed it!

I thought the traverse wasn't any harder than 5a but pretty bold.
In reply to M000W:

Did it recently. Seemed 5a to me.
 Ann S 09 Sep 2014
In reply to jezb1:

I must have been climbing well that day for a change. I keep recommending this route to Trem visitors, who may not have considered it.
 alasdair19 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Ann S:

it's great but not for nervous seconds! The start layback can often be damp which I guess reduces traffic?
OP M000W 10 Sep 2014
In reply to jezb1:

Thanks for your opinions, I thought it was harder, but I haven't lead 5a in a while, Thinking it about it, it is similar to the moves on Pebble dash (at the Roaches) that gets the same grade

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...