UKC

Olympus Tough 830 _ anything better?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Kemball 08 Sep 2014
As the title says, is there? I was very happy with mine, but although it is waterproof and very bouncy, unfortunately, it is not proof against loosing I'm about to use the insurance money to buy the same camera, but is there anything similar / better?
 John Kelly 08 Sep 2014
In reply to Mark Kemball:

I second your - 'is there anything better post'

my first one, the 8000, leaked eventually - it was a great camera though

my second one, the 850 doesn't have a lens cover (auto on the 8000), was more brick like than it's predecessor and leaked when i jumped in, on the plus side the pic quality is pretty good IMO

Toerag 09 Sep 2014

The Panasonic FTx series are good - dunno how they compare though.
 Robert Durran 09 Sep 2014

My Sony DMC TX is excellent (apart from the touch screen). It has a sliding cover for the lens which does help avoid fugging up in damp conditions (a problem on my previous Panasonic tough camera).
m0unt41n 19 Sep 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

Really annoying they missed out the lens cover - I have the 810 and I always thought it better than all the other makes because you did not have to worry about checking whether the lens was clean each time you used it.

Fairly good photos in good strong light, hopeless otherwise. But having it on sack waistband and not having to worry about it is a huge plus point.

If I got something better, Sony RX100M3 or the Panasonic LX100 I suspect it would be forever inside the rucksack and I would end up taking few photos.

Mal Grey 19 Sep 2014

I switched from an Olympus 1050 to the TG2 last winter, mostly for canoeing photos. Very pleased with it, but do indeed miss the lens cover. It gives significantly better results in all light conditions, but is still not brilliant in low light (in common with all waterproof compacts I think, too many compromises). In bright conditions, it can be close to being as good as the DSLR. if its just for viewing on PC.

The "super macro" feature is remarkably good, and I've had some excellent insect photos from it.

I keep mine on an elastic leash, adjusted in length so that if I just let go of it whilst kneeling in the canoe, it doesn't quite hit the bottom of the canoe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...