UKC

Marmolada Glacier

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tcb 08 Sep 2014
Has anyone descended the Marmolada glacier after doing the via Feratta recently? Has this year's snowfall made it any harder than usual? Hoping to do it this week.
 beardy mike 08 Sep 2014
In reply to tcb:

No.
 mbh 08 Sep 2014
In reply to tcb:
A guy at the Colfosco campsite near Corvara, where we were, climbed some route on the S face and came down over the glacier in late July when we were there and didn't say anything untoward about it. I think he had crampons, ice axes, or at least poles, etc. He certainly had big boots, since these were a big show off-y affair between him and his mate in the tent next door before they set off.

If you do the VF (Eterna Brigata?) let us know what state it is in. The guide book we had (the Austrian one) said it was 'closed' because the gear was in a bad state. I'd like to do it next year and come down over the glacier. The view of it from the Trincee, which we did, was superb.
Post edited at 20:13
 beardy mike 08 Sep 2014
In reply to mbh:

That's old news. The Eterna has been reequipped. Even when it was closed people did it with a short rope. The glacier had italians with their dogs on it (in crevasses I hasten to add) when we were there early August.
 mbh 08 Sep 2014
In reply to mike kann:

That's good news. I am so last season...
 beardy mike 08 Sep 2014
In reply to mbh:

Just the normal italian chaos and free for all - we had people climbing down the middle rocky section with crampons strapped to their trainers to "save speed" and narrowly launching themselves at people coming up... epic idiocy... still the Khazi at the top was worth the trip. I reckon the way to do Marmolada really is to do the eterna, then cross the glacier to the hut at the top of the lifts and then do the west ridge which is an epic VF... really one of the best I've done, not so much for the climbing but for the positions!
 mbh 08 Sep 2014
In reply to mike kann:

Noted! Is on the list for next year.

Have you done the Sandro Pertini, from the Langental near Silva, over the pass from Corvara? That gets up you into the national park area, away from the ski lifts which, while really handy, are a bit of an eyesore. It is really beautiful.
 beardy mike 08 Sep 2014
In reply to mbh:

Yeah several times. I reckon I was amongst the first who did it after it was put up about ten years ago - I got a tip off from a guide friend - in those days it was still a bit dirty! Just did a nice long trip which took in the Santerpass, the Cantenaccio d'antermoia, the Denti Rossi, then walked over to sella pass and had to skip the PossnerWeg as it was raining and ended on the West ridge, walking between them. Was a great trip - planning on writing a trip report like the other one here earlier in the summer...
 Badpanda 09 Sep 2014
In reply to tcb:

We did it today. The track is super-obvious and beautifully avoids some very impressive looking crevasses.

So if there is any significant snowfall before you go you'd need to be careful of course.

Cracking day - everyone we saw was being Very Sensible so we missed the comedy alpinism. Quite a few slower parties (even by our standards) - i think it's a popular have-go-at -a-glacier day.

Have fun!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...