UKC

night temp on snowdon summit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gethin_allen 08 Sep 2014
I'm planning on bivying on top of Snowdon next weekend and was trying to decide what sleeping bag to take. The options are: alpkit pipedream 600 or mountain hardware lamina 35 in a goretex bivi bag. Any idea how cold it's likely to be?
In reply to gethin_allen:

Could be any number of conditions from almost freezing to humid (the former being more likely). I guess I have to ask why you'd want to camp on top of snowdon when there's other, cleaner summits that won't see you being woken by early morning 3 peakers!?
 BStar 08 Sep 2014

I would take your warmest bag. It's easier to get colder if you're warm than vice versa. Too many variables to say what temperature it will be.
OP gethin_allen 08 Sep 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

The plan is to ride up the night before and ride down in the morning to avoid the cycling ban times.
 Bog ninja 08 Sep 2014
I agree with B Star, take your warmest bag and mat. I slept on top of Hart Fell in the Southern Uplands this weekend in tent with a Lamina 20 and I found it cold. But again like B Star said there are lots of variables to account for so you might as well play it safe.
Post edited at 21:17
 Sean Kelly 08 Sep 2014

Frost on the top when I was up there very very early one Sept morning...!

I spent a night up there August in the 90's I had a 2 season bag, a bivvy bag, and a fibre pile jacket on, and I was cold and didn't get much sleep as there was a coke can rattling about in the storm drain of the old cafe. Then on the way down, my backpack was full and it kept pushing my helmet forwards so I couldn't see I was going.
It's much more practical to set off a 5 in the morning from the bottom.
 Rob Exile Ward 09 Sep 2014

I spent a night on top in winter a few years ago, just a karrimat, goretex bivvibag and half decent sleeping bag.

It was a bit stormy but I was fine until somebody prodded me in the morning - they thought I was dead.

If it's anything like it was a few years ago, you'll be amazed at how much light pollution there is up there - it's like sleeping in the middle of an urban park.
OP gethin_allen 09 Sep 2014
In reply to The Mystery Toad:

" my backpack was full and it kept pushing my helmet forwards so I couldn't see I was going."

I think I read your account of this on a different thread I found while researching on ukc. The sleeping bag question was in a way related as I wanted the smallest bag possible.

How long does the ride up take? I'm reasonably fit on a bike so hope not to do much walking/pushing.

Around 2 hours seems about the average on the way up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...