UKC

Cave Dale: What's up there?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 franhammond92 09 Sep 2014
I was wondering if anyone had any information on routes in Cave Dale (Castleton). The logbook page is pretty useless to be honest as nothing has descriptions (I realise it must be pretty time consuming to enter routes etc) and hardly any of the 65 routes apparently up there are even mentioned. I sent the crag moderator an email a while back but didn't get any reply.

There's obviously a lot of rock up there and largely of a decent quality so I'm curious as to what's been done and what hasn't.
 llanberis36 09 Sep 2014
In reply to franhammond92:

I am unsure if any of these routes have been climbed for years, think there was concerns as the crags are over or near a public path. Similar issues with the routes above winnats pass on the shield, think they were loose, and therefore not climbed on now

A source of knowledge would be the guy in the outdoor shop off the square in castleton, he will know
 deacondeacon 09 Sep 2014

Theres some info on ukb about it. Think Bonjoy has been developing it recently but don't quote me on that.
I've bouldered up there a little and you get lots of stupid questions from ramblers. More than usual for some reason
 Fredt 09 Sep 2014

Speaking as someone who was hospitalised for a month with a fractured skull, which was a consequence of innocently standing on the path and being hit by a rock dislodged from somewhere above, I'm afraid I cannot condone climbing in Cavedale!
OP franhammond92 09 Sep 2014

Unfortunately the guy that works in the outdoor shop is only there in the winter (I'm his summer replacement), but thanks. I might try and give him a shout some time.

I know there's been some bouldering development as I was tipped off about the place by a friend who's been checking that stuff out. I'm more interested in routes though really, and there's a few buttresses that are a little high for bouldering.

As for Fredt, rest assured I'm not looking to put up routes on choss just so I can say "look at all my new routes!!". There's quite a lot of solid rock up there though and a fair distance from the path as well. I'll be keeping well away from any of the loose/unstable stuff myself

Referring to the historic guidebook from 1961 - Rock Climbs on Mountain Limestone in Derbyshire by Graham West it lists 10 climbs there and refers to others. This a classic piece of literature -The Rockfax of its day - except each route gets several paragraphs of description. There is even a Puttrell route - Dargai Crack - Very Difficult - from the late 19th century. It was named to commemorate the taking of the Heights of Dargai in India - a feat that had eluded the Derbyshire Regiment but was achieved by the Gordon Highlanders in October 1897. They don't make guides like that anymore.
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Thanks for that. Is there any information where in the dale these routes are and what lines they take?

Hi there - I will scan the section on Cavedale and send you a copy. It is pretty clear where the routes are - no topos though!
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Thank you
 Sankey 09 Sep 2014

Sorry about not replying.

It's in peak limestone stoney guide, 55 routes listed.

Anyone can add routes . It's mainly the mods job to check and organise them. Not that I'm a saint at that.

If anyone wants to take it over, feel free, but I will make sure and approve any future additions in any case.

Cheers.
 Boy Global Crag Moderator 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Sankey:
Whilst you're about. Any chance you can change Sheep Shifter in Cave Dale from 7a+ to 7b please. It's a new prob and since having a few repeats the consensus has settled on an upgrade. Cheers.
 Sankey 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Boy:

Done.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...