UKC

All-inclusive hotel on a climbing trip, is it worth it??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 maybe_si 09 Sep 2014

I'm currently looking to book a week in Mallorca in mid October for some sunny sport climbing. I've been on loads of trips all over and am currently looking on Expedia to see if I can find any good deals.

I have found loads of all-inclusive type hotels for around £250 per person for a week including flights and car hire.... seems like a bargain! Now the thing is, I've never stayed in an all-inclusive type hotel before? Obviously they will vary a lot but do they tend to just be packed with chavs looking for as much free booze as they can get? I quite like the idea of not having to worry with the faff of cooking, shopping etc, just waking up, having a buffet breakfast and then going climbing all day, equally not having to worry about dinner when we get back, just diving in to whatever is on offer?

Any thoughts/experiences at all? I am looking to go before half term so hopefully it shouldn't be too busy??

Cheers

jimtitt 09 Sep 2014
In reply to maybe_si:

> ...but do they tend to just be packed with chavs looking for as much free booze as they can get?

Climbers you mean?

abseil 09 Sep 2014
In reply to maybe_si:

Seriously, my wisdom is, don't ever go half- or full-board. The price looks good, but that's because the food tends to be rubbish (they've already got your money; so you can't do much about it).

I've learned to only ever go 'room only' or B+B. And choose my own place for dinner.
 Offwidth 09 Sep 2014
In reply to abseil:

Nonsense a good deal is a good deal. In any case you dont need to eat there all the time or eat the worst food just because its free.
abseil 09 Sep 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

> Nonsense a good deal is a good deal. In any case you dont need to eat there all the time or eat the worst food just because its free.

Errrr thanks but it's not a good deal if the food's rubbish. The full- or half-board price has been poor value in my experience.
J1234 09 Sep 2014
In reply to maybe_si:

Sounds great to me, I will definitely look at that option next time I go.
In reply to maybe_si:

I have done mallorca twice normally March time, always go all-inclusive (it tends to be the norm for alot of hotels out there so is cheap)

I've never had a problem getting back for dinner, and they have always been able to supply a packed lunch.

Whilst it is March instead of October I have found that out of season seems fine you can escape crowds if you wish.

I can recommend Club Simo for a hotel it is geared towards sport too.

Any info you might need drop me a line
 Andy Farnell 09 Sep 2014
In reply to maybe_si:

So flight, accommodation, food and booze for £250? No brainer.

Andy F
 marsbar 09 Sep 2014
In reply to maybe_si:

For that price you don't need to worry if you don't like the food. If you do, its a bonus. I have done all inclusive occasionally, its always been fine at least and really good sometimes.
 Offwidth 09 Sep 2014
In reply to abseil:

If most of the food is rubbish you just eat what isnt or buy your own.
OP maybe_si 09 Sep 2014
In reply to maybe_si:

Well it's booked, £253 each for flights, hotel, car, food and booze.... what could possibly go wrong at that price!!
 Joak 09 Sep 2014
In reply to maybe_si:

Me and the missus enjoyed a week in Mallorca in April, based in Port de Pollenca. We were half board. After a hearty cooked breakfast I went for a scramble on some Limestone, then met up for a wee snack on the beach in the afternoon. Lots of choice, self service good quality food for dinner with free booze thrown in for good measure. No complaints whatsoever from clan Calder
 DWS gibraltar 11 Sep 2014
In reply to maybe_si:

A no brainer!
 Merlin 11 Sep 2014
In reply to maybe_si:

Absolutely, do it. It will actually feel like you are on holiday. You may even get a pool, you will meet other folk not just climbing, and when it rains you can get mullered.
In reply to abseil: You're rejecting this £250 flights, food and accommodation package on the basis of possibly "rubbish" food and the fact that it's apparently poor value in your experience. Jesus. Flights alone are going to set you back £120 plus baggage according to current offers. How is this poor value? What's the cost of your alternative?

Obviously, the OP would be daft or rich to reject this.

abseil 12 Sep 2014
In reply to Frank the Husky:

> You're rejecting this £250 flights, food and accommodation package on the basis of possibly "rubbish" food and the fact that it's apparently poor value in your experience. Jesus. Flights alone are going to set you back £120 plus baggage according to current offers. How is this poor value? What's the cost of your alternative?

> Obviously, the OP would be daft or rich to reject this.

OK, OK, I take it all back! Many apologies! Go full board, everyone!

My comments were based on decades of experience and travel. And of comparing prices both ways. My comments are true for me, anyone can take them or leave them... (And there's no need to say 'Jesus' and 'How is this poor value? What's the cost of your alternative?' - do you think I haven't compared prices?)

The funny thing is, I'm daft. I'm rich (relatively speaking...). And it's obvious.
Post edited at 04:20
Andy Gamisou 12 Sep 2014
In reply to abseil:
I know, I don't why people on UKC can't put forth an alternative opinion without implying that the other party is an imbecile. Personally, it discourages me from taking part in discussions.

No doubt someone will be along soon to tell me how stupid I am to hold this point of view.
Post edited at 06:18
abseil 12 Sep 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

> ...I don't why people on UKC can't put forth an alternative opinion without implying that the other party is an imbecile...

Thanks for your reply and support! (Mind you, I didn't really mind the implication in Frank's reply that I'm either daft or rich...)
Post edited at 06:42
 FreshSlate 12 Sep 2014
In reply to AndrewW:
To be fair 250 for flights/hotel/car/food/booze for a week is so stupidly cheap it's hard to see how individually you could get cheaper.

I've always been a room only guy myself, but everywhere is different, some places it can be the cheapest option. Abseil, have you been to Mallorca? Would you be able to undercut that price?
Post edited at 07:02
In reply to abseil: Good, common sense prevails! We all have "decades of experience and travel" so let's move on.

I notice that you object to me asking you to back up your statement about this being poor value, or to cost out your alternative. That seems odd as you're stating - with no evidence - that the OP's possible choice is "poor value". At least offer some evidence, something to back up what you're saying. Sorry about offending you by mentioning Jebus.

As noted above, even with all that experience you haven't costed out an alternative. It would be at least double "IMHO".

In reply to AndrewW: I know, silly isn't it. I didn't suggest the abseil guy was an imbecile, just that, based on the costs, he was completely wrong.

And that is based on my many decades of travel and experince etc.

Lesdavmor 12 Sep 2014
In reply to maybe_si:

we stayed at Son Matias Beach at Cala Nova, the food was excellent on both occasions
OP maybe_si 12 Sep 2014
In reply to maybe_si:

Well as said, I have booked the trip. I like to think I have a decent amount of common sense, at the price I am expecting fairly low quality food and drink, a tiny hire car and a very basic hotel room.

Hey, I figure it must be worth the gamble!

I will be sure to report back once I return!
 Bulls Crack 12 Sep 2014
In reply to abseil:

I agree with you; poor food is bad value and to buy it but not eat it wasteful. Very British to put up with poor fare though or not see it as important
 Merlin 12 Sep 2014
In reply to abseil:

I admire your honesty.

Although, to extent I agree the food doesn't necessarily replicate the amount of stars the hotel has above its door (this is where the hotel saves money), it's usually by no means disgusting, and, you can eat your entire body weight at breakfast and dinner. Also, at breakfast you can generally get away with nabbing some fruit and rolls for lunch at the crag.

Also, lets all not forget what a ball ache it is going food shopping in whilst your on holiday!

I can't believe we're even disguising this!
In reply to maybe_si:

Sounds good to me. Enjoy.
 The Norris 12 Sep 2014
In reply to maybe_si:
Port de pollenca is actually quite nice, even if the hotel is pants, you wont spend much time in there so it doesnt matter, and mallorca climbing is amazing - i recommend cala magraner! enjoy!
Post edited at 20:02
 Bob Bennett 17 Sep 2014
In reply to maybe_si:

We go to Benidorm every December usually on an all exclusive and find it good value.Also done Majorca the same, its fairly hassle free and you dont have to bother about cooking etc. Good to get back to a bath/shower and comfy room after a hard day!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...