UKC

Is China our last hope?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Al Evans 09 Sep 2014
The only country I can See fighting off Islamic fundamentalism is China. Discuss?
In reply to Al Evans:

not if you are vietnamese or filipino its not...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29107792
 elsewhere 09 Sep 2014
In reply to Al Evans:
The oil is still flowing so there seems no huge threat to a vital national of China or us.

The Potato 10 Sep 2014
China is our last hope

No, there is another...

sorry couldnt resist

ByEek 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

Unless the Islamics have a load of resources the Chinese want, I can't see them getting involved. China have been buying up huge swathes of Africa for is natural resources of late. Not sure if getting involved in tribal squabbles between factions of Arabs is really their thing.
 nw 10 Sep 2014
In reply to ByEek:
They have their own Islamic separatists though. Might change if they start to feel threatened by them.
 GrahamD 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Al Evans:

This 'fighting' policy to reduce fundamentalism is a wee bit flawed IMO.
 ByEek 10 Sep 2014
In reply to nw:

> They have their own Islamic separatists though. Might change if they start to feel threatened by them.

I believe China has quite a well established history of dealing with people and groups that "threaten" the state.
 Ramblin dave 10 Sep 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

Get Your War On had it pretty much spot on back in 2001 (about circa the invasion of Afghanistan, and the coining of the phrase "war on terror"):
http://mnftiu.cc/blog/images/war.008.gif
 GrahamD 10 Sep 2014
In reply to ByEek:

> I believe China has quite a well established history of dealing with people and groups that "threaten" the state.

State Fundamentalism rather over Religious Fundamentalism. Probably little to choose for the dissenter.
 ByEek 10 Sep 2014
In reply to GrahamD:
> State Fundamentalism rather over Religious Fundamentalism. Probably little to choose for the dissenter.

I dunno. At least you know where you are with a state fundamentalism. Religious Fundamentalism tends to come from nowhere for no apparent reason.

Just look at Syria. I started out as an attempt to get democracy and has ended up being a Jihad, the filling of a power gap and a fundamentalist quest and everything inbetween.
Post edited at 14:46
 Timmd 10 Sep 2014
In reply to ByEek:
> I dunno. At least you know where you are with a state fundamentalism. Religious Fundamentalism tends to come from nowhere for no apparent reason.

I wonder which is easier to escape from?

Unofficial 'black jails' for dissenters who travel to Beijing to complain and the fear that anything can be done to you if you're arrested don't seem very appealing.

Check out what's happened to Falun Gong practitioners in China too, and the related UN report...
Post edited at 14:51
 ByEek 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Timmd:

> I wonder which is easier to escape from?

Escaping tyranny from the state is easy. You just do what they tell you and everyone is happy. However, in the religious fundamentalist world, something happens potentially miles away and before you know it, your neighbour (who was also your best friend) is breaking your door down, pick axe in hand trying to murder you and your family because you aren't of the same religion.
 Timmd 10 Sep 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Except everybody isn't happy under state tyranny...
 ByEek 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Timmd:
> Except everybody isn't happy under state tyranny...

Agreed - but the questions were which was worse and which was easiest to escape.

I find the idea that one day you are having a BBQ and a beer with your neighbour and the next, they are trying to murder you quite disturbing. Sadly it has happened several times throughout the world in my short lifetime.
Post edited at 16:28
 Timmd 10 Sep 2014
In reply to ByEek:
> I find the idea that one day you are having a BBQ and a beer with your neighbour and the next, they are trying to murder you quite disturbing. Sadly it has happened several times throughout the world in my short lifetime.

That's true enough, it is very difficult to get your head around.
Post edited at 17:47

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...