UKC

Independence and mountain rescue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 09 Sep 2014
Surprised this hasn't come up on here. How's that gonnae work with the helicopters?
In reply to aln:

All English people will be advised, on the secret climbers' grapevine, to carry a small Saltire.

Waving this will signal someone worth rescuing.

(I wonder if I'm taking this independence carry on seriously enough...)
OP aln 09 Sep 2014
In reply to Dispater:

> All English people will be advised, on the secret climbers' grapevine, to carry a small Saltire.

> (I wonder if I'm taking this independence carry on seriously enough...)

Or missing the point.

In reply to aln:

> Or missing the point.

?
 skog 09 Sep 2014
In reply to aln:

Helicopters might not work after independence, as the Met Office have made it clear that it would make no sense for the rUK to share the atmosphere with us.
OP aln 09 Sep 2014
In reply to Dispater:

Aren't the helicopters used in Mountain rescue part of the UK military?
In reply to aln:

Doh!

With you now.

In that case, they can nip over the border and rescue us, a no moonies at Scottish casualties.

OP aln 09 Sep 2014
In reply to Dispater:

> In that case, they can nip over the border and rescue us, a no moonies at Scottish casualties.

You might not be allowed back over the border due to your preference for the vilest of olives, the dreaded Kalamata.

In reply to Dispater:

> Doh!

> With you now.

> In that case, they can nip over the border and rescue us, a no moonies at Scottish casualties.

That should have said 'and do moonies...'
In reply to aln:

> You might not be allowed back over the border due to your preference for the vilest of olives, the dreaded Kalamata.

Your middle name is clearly Epicure.

;-p
 Denzil 10 Sep 2014
In reply to aln: in reality it is quite a good question. The new contract comes into place in 2015 where it is taken over by Bristows and will no longer be the military (though some areas of Scotland have already been run by Bristows for a few years), Presumably, the split in costs between England/Wales and Scotland will have to be part of the post referendum discussions.

jonny taylor 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Denzil:

It would have particular implications for the lake district. Currently served by Anglesey, Prestwick and Boulmer depending on who else is already in the air. With Boulmer closing, you'd better hope that the governments can sort out a cross-border agreement(*), or pray that you don't fall off Esk Central Pillar at the same time as somebody falls off Right Hand Wall.

(*) Sorry for editorialising, but this keeps coming up again and again in different contexts. Is that really independence?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...