UKC

Charging for re-cycled rubble (!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sbc_10 10 Sep 2014
I'll post this as a general heads-up for people who use recycling centres, as I do. It got me into a bit of a grump. This may spread nation-wide, or maybe it has already?
My local one in Harrogate is now charging for rubble.

http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/article/29205/Hardcore-rubble-and-plasterboard...

OK, you bring in a transit van full of dug up concrete, fair enough expect a charge, but the guys at the centre tell me that you will be charged for even one brick if you deposit it in the rubble skip. £2.52 for one brick!!

The result will be fly tipping on a massive scale. Expect to see toilets, basins and various tile based cairns appearing in your local beauty spots.

Its those pencil necked meddling accountants again.....rant....rant!!!!
 woolsack 10 Sep 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

Hardcore, you know the score!
In reply to sbc_10:

Started in Cornwall on the first of the month. We're also expecting fly tipping on an epic scale. Give it six months and then get everybody you know to put in a FOI request to the council asking for the figures on income from the recycling against increase in costs to clear up the fly tipping.

Stupidheads that they are.

Martin
 Richard Wilson 10 Sep 2014
In reply to maisie:

> Give it six months and then get everybody you know to put in a FOI request to the council asking for the figures on income from the recycling against increase in costs to clear up the fly tipping.

Most fly tipping happens on private land. The council dont pay for its removal, the land owner does. The council still gets paid for the disposal when the land owner takes it to the tip.

toad 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Richard Wilson:
> (In reply to maisie)
>
> [...]
>
> Most fly tipping happens on private land. The council dont pay for its removal, the land owner does. The council still gets paid for the disposal when the land owner takes it to the tip.

regrettably true. Used to have a real problem with van loads of car tyres appearing in gates overnight. Council would shift ones on the highway, but not if they were on your land.

In reply to sbc_10:

Rubble is generally non-recyclable so ends up in landfill.
 john arran 10 Sep 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

Yes but if it means smaller government and lower taxes what could possibly be wrong with that?

mattrm 10 Sep 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

Glad that they don't do this at my local tip. I've just dumped loads of stuff there over the past few months. Going on those costs, I would have paid a massive amount of money to do that. Seems awfully cheeky I have to say.
 3leggeddog 10 Sep 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

No problem, it is ideal landfill. Rubble is inert, it is man made rock.
 JoshOvki 10 Sep 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

Dump it outside of the skip at the dead of night?
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Not plasterboard. I beleive it releases quite a lot of greenhouse gasses when decaying.
My local recycling centre has a separate bin for plasterboard.
In reply to sbc_10:

> The result will be fly tipping on a massive scale. Expect to see toilets, basins and various tile based cairns appearing in your local beauty spots.

You cannot say for certain this will be the case.
 Phil79 10 Sep 2014
In reply to 3leggeddog:

> No problem, it is ideal landfill. Rubble is inert, it is man made rock.

You're missing the point. It might be 'ideal' landfill, but current policy is to reduce reliance on landfill and therefore the number of landfill sites is generally on the decrease, and recycling on the increase. Therefore cost of landfilling any waste is on the rise.

As rubble is non-recyclable, the cost to dispose at landfill is quite high (landfill gate price is £20-40 per tonne, plus transport costs and landfill tax).

Most recycling centres are run be big waste contractors rather than council themselves, so they are trying to recoup/cover there own costs. If this leads to knock on costs (for fly tipping) elsewhere its not their concern. Plus as pointed out elsewhere, flytipping cost are usually carried by the landowner, so costs to dispose are incurred anyway.

Free market economy, great 'innit!
 woolsack 10 Sep 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

If it is genuinely rubble, most farmers are always glad to have extra to use in field gateways
 Rick Graham 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Phil79:

> As rubble is non-recyclable, the cost to dispose at landfill is quite high (landfill gate price is £20-40 per tonne, plus transport costs and landfill tax).

No. Its a con.

Clean (ish ) rubble or demolition waste can be regraded or crushed to make "crusher run " or recycled sub base or 6F4 or whatever fill material required.

Mobile crushers can be hired in for about £1000 per day. I (as a site engineer ) have had to monitor their production. Typical large demolition jobs have been observed producing £100 per minute from the end of the conveyor belt!
 mypyrex 10 Sep 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

One possible solution if your rubble is "clean", ie broken concrete/cement, bricks, stones and gravel. is to offer it to anybody doing building work who perhaps need to backfill an excavation with hardcore prior to laying new concrete(foundations etc.)

Some years ago I excavated the soil floor of an old cottage in order to lay a solid floor. I would have been more than happy for somebody to come along and offer me a couple of tons of rubble.
 balmybaldwin 10 Sep 2014
> (In reply to sbc_10)
>
> Rubble is generally non-recyclable so ends up in landfill.

I thought it was useful for filling in stuff at building sites or for crushing to make paths etc...or is it a case now that it's toxic in someway and therefore not allowed?
 Phil79 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Rick Graham:

That's a fair point, we specify 6f2/type 1 etc material for all sorts of stuff on sites we work on, much of which is 'crusher run' demolition arisings.
 Phil79 10 Sep 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Yeah you can use it for that, providing it doesn't contain asbestos or other nasty stuff. Clean rubble (bricks and concrete) can be crushed and re-used, and frequently is,

So perhaps it is all a con!
 Timmd 10 Sep 2014
> You cannot say for certain this will be the case.

There already IS fly tipping in nature reserves in and around Sheffield, and in some woodlands and fields and what could be nice places, I've spent a fair amount of time helping to clear it up.

If people have to pay/pay more to get rid of stuff, I do struggle to see what else is going to happen other than an increase in fly tipping.

My annoyance isn't aimed at you by the may, but the fly tippers. I'd love for them to be chest deep bogs for them to get stuck in, and caught.
Post edited at 13:44
 Uluru 10 Sep 2014
> (In reply to 3leggeddog)
>
> Not plasterboard. I beleive it releases quite a lot of greenhouse gasses when decaying.
> My local recycling centre has a separate bin for plasterboard.

Plasterboard is nasty stuff. If it's landfilled with biodegradable wastes, banned since 2005, it releases hydrogen sulfide gas. It has to be landfilled in a separate cell. If at all. It can be effectively recycled.
In reply to Timmd:

The people who fly tip aren't the people who are using these facilities. This is certainly true at council sites where no trade vehicles are allowed.
There's certainly a possibility someone doing some renovation might be burdened by the extra cost but I suspect the fine if caught will put most people off.
Sorry to be pedantic about this point but saying x will definitely happen because of y is a fallacy.
 Timmd 10 Sep 2014
I don't suppose it will make any different to the people fly tipping, because they'll be fly tipping already.

The collections of random bits I've had to help clear up don't often resemble building waste, it's all kinds of seemingly unconnected small items, sometimes quite a trek away from the road, which sets one wondering about the logic behind it, where as fly tipped building waste seems generally pretty close to the road, and and is things like rubble and pieces of kitchen and bathroom and car tyres etc.

I'm not saying that the charges will definitely lead to an increase in fly tipping, but if you're inclined to consider dumping things in your local patch of ground which is trees and fields, the charges could be just enough to make you decide not to make the journey to the tip...
Post edited at 15:30
 Scarab9 10 Sep 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

to those saying rubble will jsut go in a landfill, actually much of it can be recycled including bricks and concrete. Demolished buildings for example can be shipped off to recycling centres.

I'm not saying all councils do that, but if you're interested go check google
 Pekkie 10 Sep 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

If you're doing a building job of any size you just hire a skip don't you? i always have. And if a reputable builder quotes for a job the cost of skips should be included. Small amounts of rubble, the odd brick etc, go in the bottom of one of those bags sand comes in, topped off with something else.
Lusk 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Pekkie:

If someone else is paying for it!
I did a job at home that generated about a typical skip full of rubble/dirt etc.
I took it down the tip several bags at a time.
Cost me about £10 in fuel instead around £100 for the skip!
 gethin_allen 10 Sep 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

The system in many places is that you are allowed to dump a small amount (~3X~25 kg bags each) per visit and otherwise it's paid for. In Swansea I was told it was £76 /ton with a £5 minimum charge. In Cardiff it's free.
In reply to Richard Wilson:

> Most fly tipping happens on private land. The council dont pay for its removal, the land owner does. The council still gets paid for the disposal when the land owner takes it to the tip.

I don't know about that - a few years ago, when new rules came in for fridges, a local lane started to get clogged up. It was dubbed fridge alley, and the practice was obviously contagious. Definitely the council's problem.

I wonder, would it be an offence to suggest that if people are going to fly tip, they should only do it on council land?

Martin
 yeti 10 Sep 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

but fly tipping will be sorted by a different department,so it's on someone elses budget,

<rant>
if they could run a company they would, but they can't, so they go into government and waste our money
</rant>
Bingers 10 Sep 2014
In reply to sbc_10:

Last time I went to the tip to ditch rubble, I found some fresh tarmac in the skip, so I did a swap and took some home to fill in the holes in my drive. Wasn't quite enough, so I went back for more later.

Recycling and reducing the cost to the council/council tax payer or theft?
OP sbc_10 11 Sep 2014
In reply to Bingers:

I too have returned from the Recycle Centre with more than I took down, but then again I have always been a "bin-yakker" and made a use out of other people's waste.
Dressed wall stones, house bricks and lumps of hardwood have all had a new lease of life.
I sometimes intercept items from the boots of cars before they make the skip.
This TV series always gives great satisfaction,

http://www.diywoodworkingvideos.co.uk/category/the-salvager/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...