UKC

Mouse Cursor Gone AWOL

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greenbanks 10 Sep 2014
How come I get a mouse cursor displayed when I have got my remote mouse plugged in? When I remove it the screen doesn't show it at all.

I realuise that this might only be a 3a (Mild Severe) IT issue, but I can't surmount it.

Anybody ?
pasbury 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

It's probably fallen off - have a look on the floor nearby.
 Welsh Kate 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

Has your remote mouse got a wee thingy to plug into the usb socket so it can actually talk to the computer?
 Richard Wilson 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

Is the problem on a laptop?

If so have you turned of the track pad?
 Jack B 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

When you remove the remote mouse the mouse cursor disappears? Have I understood you correctly?

Is there another mouse plugged in, and if so is it switched on and working? No working mouse, no mouse pointer.
 JoshOvki 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

Do you have a cat?
 skog 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

Are you using Windows 8? Are you using it on a laptop?

It removes the pointer if you don't have a mouse or equivalent attached, expecting you to use touchscreen functionality instead (which you may not actually have).

If it's doing this while you still have some other mouse, touchpad, or equivalent device attached, it probably means it can't 'see' that other device - which might be faulty, or have been disabled.

Have you, or another user, maybe disabled a laptop touchpad, perhaps by mistake, or because it was annoying when you leant on it and you didn't need it anyway due to having a remote mouse? There might be a keyboard shortcut to re-enable it - start by looking at the Function keys at the top.
OP Greenbanks 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Jack B:

> When you remove the remote mouse the mouse cursor disappears? Have I understood you correctly?

> Is there another mouse plugged in, and if so is it switched on and working? No working mouse, no mouse pointer<

Yes! That's exactly it - cursor present & working OK in remote & as soon asI unplug it the cursor is on the screen but it doesnt move.

Skog refers to possible disabling of the laptop touch pad - how do I re-enable it if that's what has happened?
 skog 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

> Skog refers to possible disabling of the laptop touch pad - how do I re-enable it if that's what has happened?

It depends on your laptop (what make/model is it?). If there isn't an obvious key for it, and it's Windows 8.1 (is it?) you could try looking in the PC Settings, under Devices:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/where-is-control-panel

Sorry - I don't have anything Windows 8 to hand to be more specific.
OP Greenbanks 10 Sep 2014
In reply to skog:

OK - will have a bit of a play

Cheers
 stewieatb 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

For a laptop, there's sometimes an F-key which disables/enables the trackpad when pressed with 'fn'. For me it's F9. This is so when you're using a separate mouse, accidentally touching the trackpad while typing doesn't do strange things. See if there's anything like that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...