UKC

just completed all 2000 ft ers Eng/Wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
sputnik3383 10 Sep 2014
Having been a keen walker since teenage years ive just recently completed all the listed 2000 ft mountains listed on the Harveys mountain chart + 1 recently upgraded , has anyone else used this chart as a challenge ? , i intend to go on and complete the Wainwrights as i have already done most.
the question is are any more hills about to be upgraded, and are there any other mountain lists that are within reach of me finishing
In reply to sputnik3383:

For a lifetime of puerile ticker-dom:

http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/
 Mike Peacock 10 Sep 2014
In reply to sputnik3383:

What does the chart in question cover? Hewitts? Nuttalls? Something else?

I've been doing the Welsh Hewitts for a few years now; 15 left to go now.
 pog100 10 Sep 2014
In reply to sputnik3383:

my wife and I completed the Nuttalls last year. I am not sure how they compare with your list but presumably similar since they are also 2,000ft. The Nuttalls have a defined height difference for a top, meaning you visit some pretty nondescript bits of choice northern Pennine bogs! If it is the same, you can get your name in lights on the Nuttall's website.

As mentioned above, there are plenty more lists to go at! The weblink has all the information you want, and probably a lot more that you don't want. It is a geek's paradise. It does list all the 'near' tops as well i.e. those within a meter or two of a category, so you can be proofed against future upgrading.
sputnik3383 10 Sep 2014
In reply to pog100:
> (In reply to sputnik3383)
>
> my wife and I completed the Nuttalls last year. I am not sure how they compare with your list but presumably similar since they are also 2,000ft. The Nuttalls have a defined height difference for a top, meaning you visit some pretty nondescript bits of choice northern Pennine bogs! If it is the same, you can get your name in lights on the Nuttall's website.
>
> As mentioned above, there are plenty more lists to go at! The weblink has all the information you want, and probably a lot more that you don't want. It is a geek's paradise. It does list all the 'near' tops as well i.e. those within a meter or two of a category, so you can be proofed against future upgrading.

the harveys mountain chart is compiled from the Nuttall guides and other authers are mentioned. i picked up the chart in 2000, but had already done some 200 peaks so i just carried on , there was no rush to finish and have trudged through some appalling bogs to reach some summits . not so interested in picking out each individual high point on each mountain , just being at the highest point is enough, although exploring around some summits was done. the last peak i did was Sca fell last w/end with Symonds knott
sputnik3383 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Mike Peacock:
> (In reply to sputnik3383)
>
> What does the chart in question cover? Hewitts? Nuttalls? Something else?
>
> I've been doing the Welsh Hewitts for a few years now; 15 left to go now.

The Harveys chart is based on the Nuttall guide .
sputnik3383 10 Sep 2014
In reply to victim of mathematics:

thanks for the website , I checked out the lists , seems anyone can create a list.
 Mike Peacock 10 Sep 2014
In reply to sputnik3383:
Ah, than you are braver than me! Whilst I respect the Nuttall's list I can't say I'm filled with desire to bag them; too many are non-summits to my mind. I feel that the 30 m prominence of the Hewitts removes a lot of the less summit-like summits.

Post edited at 17:48
 Jake463 11 Sep 2014
In reply to sputnik3383:

When I started becoming an obsessive hillwalker as a teenager, my mum bought my the Nuttall's guide to the English 2000ft'ers, which was a real eye opener. I'm wary of letting hill lists dictate my walking too much but find them quite useful pointers to tops I would perhaps otherwise miss out - the detour to the spectacular viewpoint of Llechog by the Llanberis Path being a prime example. One day I'll do all the Nuttalls, Wainwrights etc, but I'm not making a specific effort - I'd miss out other good stuff that way!

For pure glorious hill-geekiness though, check out the Marilyn Hall of Fame News website. Hours of reading on there - http://www.rhb.org.uk/marhofn/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...