UKC

Wildcountry superlights

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BAdhoc 11 Sep 2014
These things are awesome, bought one to test them out and it got me out of a pickle yesterday.

Just wondering if there are any other 'half size nuts'?
 Stevie989 11 Sep 2014
In reply to BAdhoc:

I think some off sets have a pretty narrow profile.

I did the same and bout a blue and red Superlight (just because they were there and Looked all new and shiny)

I really like them and tend to place them on most routes.
 damowilk 11 Sep 2014
In reply to BAdhoc:

Looking forward to the offsets of these!
OP BAdhoc 11 Sep 2014
In reply to damowilk:
What when where how ? I want!

Just googled, looking forward to march and getting these!
Post edited at 10:58
 BnB 11 Sep 2014
In reply to damowilk:

Me too. They look like the perfect lightweight passive pro.
 Stevie989 11 Sep 2014
In reply to BAdhoc:

I wonder if they would make a straight replacement for my wallnuts?

I mean I like wall nuts - every now and then you just get one that is bomber but I always ten to find myself looking for the WC rocks on the rack as I find them easier to place.
 FreshSlate 11 Sep 2014
In reply to Stevie989:

> I wonder if they would make a straight replacement for my wallnuts?

> I mean I like wall nuts - every now and then you just get one that is bomber but I always ten to find myself looking for the WC rocks on the rack as I find them easier to place.

Complete opposite, you should see my relatively shiny rocks compared to my wallnuts. I think Robert Durran shares your view, perhaps it is a central belt thing.
 Stevie989 11 Sep 2014
In reply to BAdhoc:

It could well be - predominantly dolerite climbing and the cracks and weakness tend to take rocks better I find. It can be bad a times for swallowing Wallnuts and keeping them!
 climbwhenready 11 Sep 2014
In reply to BAdhoc:

Does the low strength bother anyone?
 BnB 11 Sep 2014
In reply to climbwhenready:

It does to the extent that I'd place a wire rated to 11kn before placing the 6kn superlight. But I see them as back up gear. Very much a second or third set of wires on the rack.

The upcoming offset superlights look rather better as they offer standard placements similar to the normal superlights in one configuration and offset ones in the other. I can see my future rack consisting of:

A few micros
1-11 DMM standard wires
WC Superlights in the small sizes and superlight offsets in the larger

with the option of adding:

DMM offsets, alloy and brass according to terrain

You could carry the lot for the weight of 2.5 sets of wires yet have almost 4 sets worth of placement possibilities. It would be a long pitch that would exhaust that rack!!

In reply to BAdhoc: I've been climbing with WC Superlights on my rack ever since they first came out, years ago. I now only gave sizes 4,5 & 6 and find them excellent, especially the largest two. However, I have had to replace a couple due to frayed wires caused but bending wires when removing them.

Superb kit to have, especially for harder routes where every extra good placement matters but they are not cheap and not durable. As such, I don't generally carry them on easier routes and they will be my fall back for when Walnuts don't fit rather than my first choice.
 Kai 12 Sep 2014
In reply to BAdhoc:

Superlight rocks are terrific. I bought them for weight saving alpine routes, but end up using them for everything else too. My favorite nuts.
 climbwhenready 12 Sep 2014
In reply to BnB:

yeah, you have to worry more about quickdraw weight if you're actually going to use a significant number of those!!
 3leggeddog 12 Sep 2014
In reply to BAdhoc:

The wires that make shit placements look good
 BnB 13 Sep 2014
In reply to 3leggeddog:

> The wires that make shit placements look good

You mean they turn shit placements into good ones, or they look much better placed then they in fact are?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...