UKC

Mums please help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 11 Sep 2014
with the impending birth (due today) of one of my best friend's first born, I've done the usual thing of getting a little something for the little mite.

Now they've definitely got all the normal baby stuff that is required

However, I want to get something for my friend... now I know she's been craving a drink, so one option is some form of fancy champagne or a bottle of good gin, but from a mother's point of view what have you had that you really appreciated/found funny/hated after your first child?

Removed User 11 Sep 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

A nice bottle of something homoeopathic and an anti-vaxxers brochure is sure to go down well.
OP balmybaldwin 11 Sep 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Fortunately, despite being a full on hyperchondriac at times in the past (I destinctly remember her being convinced she had Lymes after finding a mite on her), pregnancy has not moved her to the point of having irrational thoughts!
 flopsicle 11 Sep 2014

Vouchers for posh take out!
 NorthernGrit 11 Sep 2014

In a day or two, fully prepare them a really good meal which all it needs is heating up. Take it round, drop it off and clear off reasonably quickly (unless they make it EXPLICITLY clear that they want you to stay - "would you like a drink?" is out of politeness, not a genuine statement that they really want a house full of visitors)

Will Legon 11 Sep 2014

as a dad of three - I know she'll want some really good nipple cream and a cool cabbage in the fridge! Unless of course she'll be bottle feeding.

In reply to Will Legon:

Right... I understand the nipple cream (is it actually called that), but what is the cold cabbage for?
In reply to NorthernGrit:

Good idea... I could easily do them something special
abseil 11 Sep 2014

I'm not a Mum. Can I help?

(Signed, Abseil. In a huff and all offended... just kidding).

OK I'm over it now... in my experience new parents [1] often get given stuff they don't need, and [2] really appreciate getting vouchers to spend in a baby supplies shop.
 lowersharpnose 11 Sep 2014
In reply to NorthernGrit:

Yes good suggestion. Cooked food, wine and vouchers that could be traded for wine and possibly baby crap.
 FactorXXX 11 Sep 2014

Right... I understand the nipple cream (is it actually called that), but what is the cold cabbage for?

I'm guessing, that you detach a leaf at a time and use it as some sort of soothing panty liner...
Hey, yeah nipple cream is called nipple cream the best one by far is lansinoh but I think it would have freaked me out if someone had bought some for me as a gift. It's a bit like tampons, yeah you might need them but you don't want them for your birthday. The cabbage supposedly helps with mastitis (it is plain lies I tell ya).

Food stuff of any description is a good call, especially takeaway vouchers. Also box sets of good tv is useful for those hours stuck under a sleeping baby that will only sleep in your arms. As for baby I found dribble bibs invaluable.
Post edited at 19:07
 Bobling 11 Sep 2014

Gin.

We have done this for a couple of friends who have had babies.

M&S bottle of pink/sloe gin. Big Avery label (say 1/4 of a page of A4). Stick new label on over old one and put on your best art hat, write "Special Medicine for Parents" on the label. "Instructions - mix two table spoons full with a pint of tonic and drink slowly to relieve symptoms of children (headaches, irritability, depression). WARNING: Taking more than the recommended dose can result in headaches, nausea, depression or in extreme cases more children".

Seriously they'll need something to go to some days when they get to 6 o'clock and realise they are tired, stressed and dehydrated and a nice big weak gin can work wonders for morale.

rurp 11 Sep 2014

When pregnant you can't eat rare steak , unpasteurised cheese, wine , shellfish.
Cooking a meal based on what she likes from the above. Get a selection of ready meals for their freezer. Pop in, MAKE HER a cup of tea and DO NOT stay more than ten mins unless there is washing up or rubbish to take out or washing to do.

You will be their best friend!

All my babied mates thought that was the best combination !

Good luck
 Heike 11 Sep 2014

Although one might need nipple cream, I don't think I would appreciate that from a friend...however, a nice meal preprepared or even an hour's babysitting when child is sleeping is the most appreciated thing when you have a small baby! Anything that makes life easier IMHO
 LastBoyScout 11 Sep 2014

Canvassing opinion of the 3 mums here tonight, spa vouchers is coming out second.

Unfortunately, you can't bottle sleep, which was first preference.
 Carolyn 11 Sep 2014

Prepared food/vouchers for the same has to be a winner!

The one thing I've used *loads* is one of those vacuum cups with a screw on lid (Lifeventure and others). The only way I got a warmish drink for months - and I eventually trained my husband to bring me a coffee in bed in it before he left for work in the morning

Not terribly glamorous, but very well used....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...