UKC

recommend me a crag for the weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 anonymous 11 Sep 2014
Hi all. Hoping to tap into the UK climbing wisdom...I am looking for recommendations for a crag to take my girlfriend to who is just getting into climbing. I've done a fair amount on grit but it has been a while since I lived up north and my memory is a little hazy. I am really looking for a crag within a reasonable distance of either manchester or skipton with a decent amount of good quality v diffs and severes, ideally also with well protected hard severe/ vs routes so she push her grade. So far I have taken her to widdop, earl crag, windgather and stanage. Thanks in advance
 BnB 11 Sep 2014
In reply to anonymous:

Crookrise is 10 minutes from Skipton and has the best range of easy to middling routes on Yorkshire Grit. If you don't fancy the walk up the hill or the abundant vegetation go to Almscliff Lower Man where a novice can enjoy a relaxing day with the opportunity to watch punters suffer on the Higher Man!!
In reply to anonymous:

I agree that Crookrise would be well worth a visit. Some very nice routes there, especially on the End Slab, Lower End Slab and Centre Slab (Arsenic Slab). Generally you'll find the Severes there to be more amenable than the V Diffs. Some of the Crookrise V Diffs are horrible unpleasant sandbags. I once failed on a V Diff there shortly after romping up a VS 5a on the Centre Slab!
 Nige M 12 Sep 2014
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:

Yes, Crookrise is a good choice. However, you should note that there are currently restrictions in place as the moor is closed on many days in Sept for grouse shooting. The sign by the stile at the end of the reservoir track implies that the closure includes access to Crookrise, though I note that the BMC RAD has no mention of this and I cannot see any information about it elsewhere online. From memory I think that the restriction applies on Sat 13th but not on Sun 14th. There are other closed days later in Sept too.

If anyone knows for sure whether this closure applies to access to Crookrise, it would be useful to know.
In reply to Nige M:

Ah yes, I forgot about that. The access restrictions at this time of year do definitely apply to Crookrise and all the other crags on Barden Moor. However you will be able to climb there on Sunday. The access restrictions never apply on Sundays.
 Offwidth 12 Sep 2014
In reply to anonymous:

Dovestones...great easier climbs and lovely after a dry spell at this time of year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...