UKC

Guns/bear protection

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Calum Nicoll 13 Sep 2014
Hi all

Planning a trip to northern canada, travelling overland coastally for about 400 miles.

Apparently there are loads of bears and they will be very hungry.

Will be 4 or 5 of us.

What do people carry in the way of guns/flares/tripwires etc?

Bearing in mind weight will be at an absolute premium, what would folk bring?

We arent very experienced with rifles but plan to learn, but we're not sure what is best.

We will try to avoid the fluffy lovelies but will probably be on the coast/on sea ice a lot so encounters seem likely.
 Padraig 14 Sep 2014
In reply to Calum Nicoll:

In your case I'd recommend carrying NO weapons at all! I think you're best bet is when you all turn in for the night throw any left over food around the camp to disperse said bears!
 Calum McLellan 14 Sep 2014

Note this is polar bears not brown or grizzlies.
 Robert Durran 14 Sep 2014
>
> What do people carry in the way of guns/flares/tripwires etc?

I would take all of the above if I wasn't too scared to go at all.
 Ramblin dave 14 Sep 2014

Wear bells on your clothes and carry pepper spray.
OP Calum Nicoll 14 Sep 2014
In reply to Robert Durran:

> I would take all of the above if I wasn't too scared to go at all.

Aye - its more whether we should take .308, .22 magnums or whatever - we're pretty ignorant about firearms.
 Trangia 14 Sep 2014
Have you approached the RCMP for advice? I'm sure they would be helpful

The chances are that they will recommend a rifle(s) and if so I suggest you take yourselves off on a trainng course for the appropriate weapon(s). They could probably recommend a training couse in Canada.

My understanding of polar bears is that they pose a very real threat and you need to take precautions against them seriously to minimise the risks both to yourselves and them.
Post edited at 08:10
 felt 14 Sep 2014

This in the paper yesterday might be of interest:
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/sep/12/polar-bear-attack-andy-...
 3leggeddog 14 Sep 2014

Remember to file the front sight off the rifle.

That way it wont hurt so much when the bear shoves it up your arse
 Firestarter 14 Sep 2014
In reply to Ramblin dave:

That works well for scientists who track polar bears. Makes the job of identifying individual bears much easier - especially when their pooh rings when you step in it, and it smells of pepper....
 AndyC 14 Sep 2014
In reply to Calum McLellan:
>
> Note this is polar bears not brown or grizzlies.

Having worked in Svalbard, I wouldn't go into polar bear territory armed with anything less than a very loud snowscooter. Dogs and snowscooters work to chase them away for a while, but hungry bears don't care about flares or batton rounds. Getting into a situation where you are forced to shoot a protected species is not very PC either.

wbo 14 Sep 2014
In reply to Calum Nicoll: a friend took a 275 and 20 rounds for skking across greenland, but you will likely see more bears than she did. Ask the rcmp for how much ammo to take

Skol 14 Sep 2014

Is it ethically right to go to bear country just for a walk, knowing that you may have to kill a Polar Bear? I would love to go but would struggle in killing a bear just so I could walk there.
Ps not having a pop..
 mike123 14 Sep 2014
Just get everybody one of these
http://images.esellerpro.com/2466/I/128/23/lrgscalejunglewarrior2.jpg
Or better still
(Possibly nsfw )

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JX1shIarL._SY445_.jpg

That ll scare the feckers off. Research conducted at the university of Kirkby in Ashfield department of animal behaviour suggests that polar bears don't know the difference between real guns and replicas so why bother with the real thing ?
 mike123 14 Sep 2014
In reply to Skol:
+1
Plus one
 mike123 14 Sep 2014
I also wonder what the chances are of somebody with zero experience of firearms actually dropping a large angry animal that's running at them with the clear intent of killing and eating them ? My money's on the bear.
 deepsoup 14 Sep 2014
> Wear bells on your clothes and carry pepper spray.

Ha! :O)
cb294 14 Sep 2014

Tripwires with alarm sirens seem to work (at least that is what my zoologist colleagues that go on expeditions up north say). For protection they use shotguns with solid or at least large caliber shot. Handguns require much more experience.

CB

abseil 14 Sep 2014
In reply to mike123:

> ...polar bears don't know the difference between real guns and replicas so why bother with the real thing ?

Errr because if the noise doesn't scare it off, you then have a chance of shooting the dear fluffy thing to death? (Not the case with a replica)

Signed, Abseil, Bear expert (after seeing lots of movies)
 gribble 14 Sep 2014

Would you be the same Calum Nicoll that demonstrated somewhat questionable ethics by drytooling Millstone? Are there similarities in ehtical decisions of killing polar bears so you can have a walk?
 BigBrother 14 Sep 2014

Any small pistol will be enough to shoot one of your companions and give you chance to get away.
 spartacus 14 Sep 2014
Take a picnic to keep them occupied. Speak to the Ranger when you arrive, you don't want to make any Bo Bo's
OP Calum Nicoll 14 Sep 2014
n reply to felt:

Yeah I know a couple of guys ivolved in that tragedy.
 felt 14 Sep 2014
In reply to mike123:

> +1
> Plus one

Does that mean two (2), or are you implying that some on here might struggle reading numbers and the plus (+) sign?
 mike123 14 Sep 2014
In reply to felt: try typing +1 .

mike123 14 Sep 2014
In reply to abseil:

> Errr because if the noise doesn't scare it off, you then have a chance of shooting the dear fluffy thing to death? (Not the case with a replica)

> Signed, Abseil, Bear expert (after seeing lots of movies)

Shoot ? To death ? Why would you want to do that ? What s it done to you ? Any way mr and mrs potato head are going to dressed as mr and ms Rambo , see my first reply . so no real need for real guns . The y lll just have to practice looking tough before they go .
Ps,. The university of Kirkby in Ashfield doesn't really exist so any research conducted there is to be taken with a very large pinch of salt.
 mike123 14 Sep 2014
In reply to abseil:
Just off out the bike with the image of Calum dressed as Rambo with a plastic sa80 being chased by an angry polar bear with the caption "f:££ing ukc b"@@&!ds".
 JoshOvki 14 Sep 2014
In reply to mike123:

Well I imagine the bear will be wanting to eat him when he shoots it to death?

Or am I being silly and it is just a fluffy teddy that want to be petted?
 felt 14 Sep 2014
In reply to mike123:

+1. There.
 Billhook 14 Sep 2014

If you are walking and weight is critical I'd leave the guns behind. You'd probably end up shooting each other anyway.

Bears generally don't like people. The only ones I've seen have been running away.

Who told you they'd be hungry anyway? It largely depends on whether they've just come out of hibernaation and/or what the conditions are like on the ice for the bears to catch their prey - seals.

I also wonder whether as non Canadians you'll actually be allowed to take firearms. You certainly cannot turn up in Canada, say your going to bear country and and go off armed.
Removed User 14 Sep 2014

I'm pretty sure that you are 100% Walter but just in case you aren't:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/nu/auyuittuq/visit/visit6/ours-bear.aspx
 wintertree 14 Sep 2014

If the polar bear can be trained to use an SRM 1216, I would get the bear one of those. Should take out anyone trying to use a rifle on it at close quarters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiZgSXfN-BA#t=0h3m8s
Post edited at 17:42
 Firestarter 14 Sep 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Mr Mitty! A big plus one on that.
 Skol 14 Sep 2014
You could try this? Not sure if it works with polar bears though.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CVS1UfCfxlU&autoplay=1
 GarethSL 14 Sep 2014

Polar bear protection standard we use are minimum calibre of win .308 preferably 30-06 sprg. Both readily available.

Slugged shotgun ammunition is ok. But short range only and requires a shotgun with a butt to be accurate.

Main defensive equipment is a signal pistol/ flaregun with report ammunition (brown). These are hard to get and expensive.

Tripwires, two main types, those that fire flares and those that fire blank 12guage ammunition. Both equally as unreliable.

Pm me for proper polar bear information.

mike123 14 Sep 2014
In reply to felt: l
No. See , you typed +1. There. That's not what I said.

Removed User 14 Sep 2014

As a wise bear once said, "You're not really here for the hunting, are you."
 Skol 14 Sep 2014
Yogi? He was smarter than the average bear.

If there's an equivalent to WalMart, you should be able to pick up some C4 and make Claymores. That'll add some beef to your tripwire setup. Downside is it sometimes scares trolls out from underneath their bridges

> (In reply to Robert Durran)
> Aye - its more whether we should take .308, .22 magnums or whatever - we're pretty ignorant about firearms.

In East Greeland this summer we hired a big shotgun with bg shot. It seemed to be standard there. We were told that a shot would probably scare them off. If a polar bear were aggressive towards me, the last thing on my mind would be how endangered the species is; how endangered I was would seem rather more immediate! We met no bears but ptarmigan was tasty
Post edited at 21:50
 woolsack 14 Sep 2014

AK47 Callum, works for the chimp

youtube.com/watch?v=GhxqIITtTtU&
Removed User 14 Sep 2014
In reply to Skol:

It's the punchline to an old joke.
 Firestarter 14 Sep 2014
In reply to woolsack:
youtube.com/watch?v=l8oPVVGYQ40&

Trunk monkey rules!!
 Skol 14 Sep 2014

> In East Greeland this summer we hired a big shotgun with bg shot. It seemed to be standard there. We were told that a shot would probably scare them off. If a polar bear were aggressive towards me, the last thing on my mind would be how endangered the species is; how endangered I was would seem rather more immediate! We met no bears but ptarmigan was tasty

So you have a right to be there? You and Calum could be the last of the Great White Hunters
In reply to Skol:

> So you have a right to be there?

Fair enough question. But if you ask it, you have to question the right of anyone at all to go to the arctic for mountaineering or any other recreational purpose (unless they choose to carry no protection against polar bear attack). The idea that you would take a gun but choose not to use it if attacked is ludicrous. Having a gun for protection is the norm.
Post edited at 22:33
 Skol 14 Sep 2014

Yes. I think go at your own risk with no gun. Leave the animals alone. If you weren't there, there would not be a problem. Go somewhere else and climb.
( a statement , not an attack on you Robert
In reply to Skol:
>
> Yes. I think go at your own risk with no gun. Leave the animals alone. If you weren't there, there would not be a problem. Go somewhere else and climb.

It would be interesting to know the number of polar bears shot in self defence by foreign visitors each year. I suspect it would be tiny compared with the number shot by the locals for protection or for legal hunting.
 Skol 15 Sep 2014

> It would be interesting to know the number of polar bears shot in self defence by foreign visitors each year. I suspect it would be tiny compared with the number shot by the locals for protection or for legal hunting.

I would imagine it was a small amount. But the indigenous people are part of that Eco system? I'm sure if they were made aware of the polar bears decline, then they would respect a hunting ban if other food sources were available?
I think bears are more threatened by climate change, but to add to this for a self egotistical 'adventure' seems wrong to me.
 felt 15 Sep 2014
In reply to mike123:

Aha. Tell me more!
 wbo 15 Sep 2014
In reply to Calum Nicoll: I would imagine that any polar bears shot by the locals are shot out of self protection, rather than hunting for food. Once you've shot it tho' it would be wasteful not to eat it.

Guns are mandatory for Svalbard, Greenland I think and my friends group were told by the policethey weren't going to be allowed to leave town without one. I suspect that in N Canada the issue will be the police complaining if you leave without a gun as they're going to need to clean up the mess and going without one is irresponsible. Your comment that the trip is egotistical is fair enough, but if you're going to go, then this is something you have to plan for.

mugglewump 15 Sep 2014
Bear spray, bear bangers and best practise management for camping in an area with bears. Just done a mini expedition in northern Canada where we saw 27 bears over 5 days and had no issues and had no sign of bears in the camp. They will be more interested in the salmon in the river if you do the right thing.
 Robert Durran 15 Sep 2014
In reply to mugglewump:

> Bear spray, bear bangers and best practise management for camping in an area with bears. Just done a mini expedition in northern Canada where we saw 27 bears over 5 days and had no issues and had no sign of bears in the camp.

Polar bears are a very different proposition to Grizzlies.
In reply to wbo:

> I would imagine that any polar bears shot by the locals are shot out of self protection, rather than hunting for food. Once you've shot it tho' it would be wasteful not to eat it.

I may be wrong, but I though the Inuit had a small hunting quota. May depend on country.

In reply to Skol:

> I would imagine it was a small amount. But the indigenous people are part of that Eco system?

If a polar bear eats me, then I imagine that, as part of the food chain, I too would count as part of the ecosystem.

I'd go to Greenland again. I'd have a gun. It's very unlikely I'd have to kill a bear, but I would if the alternative was to be eaten. I can understand why some people would not want to put themselves in this position though.
Removed User 15 Sep 2014
In reply to wbo:

>> I suspect that in N Canada the issue will be the police complaining if you leave without a gun as they're going to need to clean up the mess and going without one is irresponsible.

No. You will simply not be allowed to carry one in Canada unless you are licensed. If you read my link further up and if you read the pamphlet in the link then it explains everything.
 Skol 15 Sep 2014

> If a polar bear eats me, then I imagine that, as part of the food chain, I too would count as part of the ecosystem.
Not if you weren't there in the first place. By being there through selfishness, you are putting the bears at risk of being shot by yourself?

> I'd go to Greenland again. I'd have a gun. It's very unlikely I'd have to kill a bear, but I would if the alternative was to be eaten. I can understand why some people would not want to put themselves in this position though.
Good luck. I really hope the gun jams
 wbo 15 Sep 2014
In reply to minneconjou Sioux: well I stand corrected. I'm a bit surprised.

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the advice from the national parks in case of an attack - basically phone the police to come and collect what's left.

Skol 15 Sep 2014
In reply to wbo:
Sounds fair enough
It's hardly like there's much left to be discovered up there. Gone are the days of the brave, white, posh North Pole explorer. Imagine coming back and telling your kids that big, brave daddy/mummy killed a polar bear.
Post edited at 19:28
OP Calum Nicoll 15 Sep 2014

Thanks for the help, really useful. And some amusing banter too.

Minneconjou Sioux:

Quality links, thanks alot for that. Was not aware of the ban on firearms in national parks but fortunately not going in one.

Looking at getting an FAC over here and then taking them across - doesnt look like it should be too difficult as they're just regular rifles (in the non-restricted catagory) not anything super exotic. So just a question of having the right safety precautions anddoing the paperwork and a small fee. http://canada.usembassy.gov/traveling_to_canada/bringing-weapons-into-canad...

If we train with the same guns that we use out there the thinking is we'll be much slicker and much more likely to be successful should the worst occur.

I do know several parties whos firearms training for northern expeditions consisted solely of renting a gun in svalbard and having 5 practise shots at a rock but we plan to be better prepared.

Will respond to the rest of the points in this thread in due course.

Thanks again all
 mugglewump 16 Sep 2014
Yes good point!
ArmChairHVS 17 Sep 2014

Don't worry Calum. Polar Bears are not known to eat potatoes.
 Ridge 17 Sep 2014

> Looking at getting an FAC over here and then taking them across - doesnt look like it should be too difficult as they're just regular rifles

That should be an interesting conversation!

"Why do I want a FAC for a large calibre rifle? Well I might need to shoot a polar bear when I go on holiday.."
 woolsack 17 Sep 2014

You could always plan a holiday where you don't need to shoot the locals
 doz generale 17 Sep 2014

> Wear bells on your clothes and carry pepper spray.

Like some kind of agressive morris dancer?
 Dave 17 Sep 2014

I've been in Svalbard and North East Greenland where carrying a gun for polar bear protection is mandatory. In both cases we've had 30-06 rifles, one of them a WWII Mauser stamped with Nazi eagle and swastika motifs! They are unfortunately very heavy, essentially big-game hunting rifles, but anything effective against a polar bear will be. Apart from air rifles when I was a kid I'd not done any shooting but rifles are really quite easy to operate. Sitting down with it for a while and going through the loading and safety mechanism repeatedly so it will come naturally under pressure is a good idea, as is taking a couple of shots at a target. I understand that a starving polar bear will need a gun to stop it. Probably the best thing to take along is a dog.

nufkin 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Dave:

> Probably the best thing to take along is a dog.

To feed to the bear?
 Dave 17 Sep 2014
In reply to nufkin:

> To feed to the bear?

Chihuahuas work well as appetisers to distract the bear whilst you are preparing to blow its head off.
abseil 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Dave:

> Chihuahuas work well as appetisers to distract the bear whilst you are preparing to blow its head off.

But ideally with a side salad too: don't forget to pack one.
 Rob Exile Ward 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Dave:

...or go with a friend who can't run as fast as you can. That should work.
 Robert Durran 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> ...or go with a friend who can't run as fast as you can. That should work.

As long as you never fall asleep while your partner is awake.

galpinos 17 Sep 2014

In Greenland we had a local with a rifle (he was out hunting seals while we were skiing) and a pack of dogs. We saw tracks, but thankfully no bears. I’d imagine shooting and killing one when it’s charging at you would be pretty hard. I wouldn’t be confident in my ability to pull it off.

On getting back to town it transpired a bear had got into the local school and had been shot.
 Clarkey77 17 Sep 2014

Never carried for bears, but have for other things and I briefly worked in the firearms trade as a yoof. It should be good reason for a UK FAC as long as you explain yourself clearly to the Police and have no history of violent crime or mental illness. It can be a painfully bureaucratic process though and I'd suggest seeking advice from someone who's done it on the nuances.

.30-06 or .375 is probably your best bet. I gather that .30-06 is widely available in Canada which is likely a consideration. You will have to fly with rifle and ammo seperate in your luggage and if they loose the ammunition for your wierd and wonderful rifle and you can't buy more locally then its just an expensive stick.

If you are going to buy a rifle I'd suggest getting some training or knowledgeable advise first, to avoid buying something unsuitable which is likely to be dangerous. WMS Firearms training are renown for doing this kind of thing and are viewed as the market leaders, and FarringtonDeer services would probably be able to provide the training you need if you get in touch with them.

Finally though, I would question if its really worth the expense? Unless you are going to be doing this regularly you are probably better off doing a course and hiring a rifle, you won't see much change from £2000 by the time your done.

Moley 17 Sep 2014

As Clarkey says, I think you would be better of hiring a rifle over there. Applying for an FAC for your purpose will not be that straightforward and will probably be expensive in the long run.

To be granted the FAC you will have to produce a lot of evidence of why you need to purchase the rifle over here (and can't simply rent/hire/borrow one in Canada), including evidence of bookings and likelihood of bears where you are going etc. The rifle will almost certainly be restricted to use abroad only- with possibly authority to zero in UK - they may want training in UK first, especially if zeroing is involved on open ground. All sorts of things that could take quite a long time to process, especially as the next busy licensing period starts at end of this year. Lastly if you are not using the rifle again what will you do with it, also you will need to provide "good reason" again to renew the licence in 5 years time, or possibly lose it.

Personally I would forget the idea of an FAC unless there is no viable alternative.

George Ormerod 18 Sep 2014

Maybe it's not quite so relevant for polar bears, but bear spray is signifciantly more effective at deterring attacks of black and grizzly bears (about 95% +) than fire arms (about 60%). This is possibly due to people not being able to get accurate / enough rounds into the bear in the event that it does attack. A hunter was killed a couple of weeks ago over here by a grizzly mother with cubs. Though no one knows the exact circumstances, his rifle doesn't seem to have done him any good (some bear experts recommend hunters carry bear spray for this precise reason).

The only time I've travelled in polar bear country was in a national park so we were limited to bear spray. Anyway in your shoes I'd want a gun, but how about taking bear spray too? You might have to keep it warm though.
 Billhook 18 Sep 2014

Why can't humans, simply accept that they aren';t at the top of the food chain and may well be included in the dietary requirements of some big animal?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...