UKC

Swollen finger, should I be worried?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Beardyman 14 Sep 2014
Hey folks,

I've been trying a project recently that has a mono in it. At first it felt too tweaky but after many sessions it now feels fine. Just painful on the skin! I never had an issue before, but the day after my last session my finger has swollen up. It's not really sore, just a bit stiff. The swelling is mainly around the 2nd joint. It does not feel like its tendon related but I'm not sure. I'd say it's about 15% bigger then normal.

Has anyone had this before? Should I be worried? Should I ice it?
In reply to Beardyman:

A2 pulley?
 The Potato 14 Sep 2014
In reply to Beardyman:

RICE!
wait till the swelling goes down and test it gently, you dont want to be popping a finger tendon just through being impatient with healing. Im bad for that, currently got a sprained wrist but bugger me can I sit still?
OP Beardyman 14 Sep 2014
In reply to tallpaulselfridge:

I don't think so. I think it's swelling in the finger joint...
In reply to Beardyman:

Sounds like it could get worse if not seen to. Could you maybe have dislocated or twisted it slightly with all that hanging around?
OP Beardyman 14 Sep 2014
In reply to tallpaulselfridge:

I'm wondering if it could be collateral ligament damage? Been reading some articles about it and it sounds about right. Either that or arthritis...
 Maragmhòraix 15 Sep 2014
In reply to Beardyman:

You won't find a proper diagnosis on a forum (duh) but if that's any help, I had a similar thing a few years ago on my index finger.

The finger would swell, especially after long sessions, and then the swelling would go away after a few hours.

Apparently it was a "bursitis". Nothing serious if compared with tendonitis or pulleys.

I did not stop climbing - I just took it easy for a few weeks, climbing 1 or 2 grades lower and avoiding nasty holds, you know the way...

I hope you find your solution

OP Beardyman 15 Sep 2014
In reply to Pierre Fuentes:

> You won't find a proper diagnosis on a forum (duh)

Haha, yeah I know but it helps come up with suggestions about possible ailments, thus allowing me to do some more internet self diagnosis.

It's been 6 days now and it's still swollen. Not really any pain tho, although I have not climbed on it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...