UKC

Replacement for Canon S95 compact camera

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Xharlie 15 Sep 2014
I need to replace my Canon S95 compact camera before Friday the 26th and I'm wondering what I should buy - taking suggestions.

My Canon was four years old and survived many long trad. climbs, ski pistes, sailing, hundreds of miles of hiking, a proper blizzard, snow, heat, rain and at least one plunge to the ground. It captured the masterpiece of my portfolio because, unlike my DSLR setup, it was there at the right moment.

I am torn between buying something larger and more powerful and sticking with the small, pocketable size. I'll probably carry either up my next climb and certainly carry either on my next hike. (I draw the line at lenses. My DSLR lenses never went further than one day's walk at a time and I've never wanted to faff with them at a stance.)
 IM 15 Sep 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

check out the canon G1X. quite big and chunky for a 'compact' but superb image quality.
OP Xharlie 15 Sep 2014
In reply to mac fae stirling:

I have been eyeing it for several weeks.

I'm seriously close to buying a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7. It's cheaper than the Canon G1X and beats it in almost every way - noise levels, battery life, video framerate, wireless control, interchangeable lenses - except size.

I know, the GX7 is not really a compact, it's a small ILC camera, but it actually weighs less than the G1X and I wouldn't feel bad about making my second carry it in a backpack. I'd carry it on a hike.

My only reservation: I don't know if I'd ski on-piste with it. Off piste & ski-mountaineering, yes, but I'd probably have a pack for those.
 Hannes 16 Sep 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

The canon eos M is at a very good price currently if you don't feel the need for a zoom lens (body and 22mm f2 lens goes for around £200 on fleabay, new grey import). If you want something compact with a zoom the Sony RX100II is difficult to beat.
OP Xharlie 16 Sep 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

I've chosen the Canon G16.

I know it isn't the best camera on the market. It feels like an odd choice and a bit like an own-goal but...

- It has a decent lens: f/1.8 - f/2.8
- It's only slightly larger than the S95 was (and much smaller than the Panasonic and G1X)
- The S120, the direct successor to the S95, looks very mediocre
- The G7 X, the upcoming benchmark in compact enthusiast cameras, isn't available yet, will probably be expensive
- It is HALF the price of the incumbent leader: the Sony RX100-III (which is reputed to be unintuitive to use and has a silly zoom range and, after all, has Sony stamped on the outside which disqualifies it automatically)
 IM 16 Sep 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

G16 - nice camera.
keep the ISO low!
enjoy.
 Kai 16 Sep 2014
In reply to Xharlie:

The Sony RX100iii is the best compact camera on the market right now.

It is truly pocketable. Build quality is very good. Lens quality is excellent. Picture quality is excellent.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100-m3

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...