UKC

Music You Wished Your parents Had Listened To

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Fex Wazner 15 Sep 2014

My folks were more into the Beatles than the Stones. Then it was 80's pop all the way while I grew up watching TOP every week. I wished they had reached out more to the Rock Blues and Early Heavy Stuff that was around at the time.

What music should we be playing these days that will make our kids think we were cool back in the day.

Listening to Credence Clearwater Revival right now.

Cheers

Fex
 felt 15 Sep 2014
In reply to Fex Wazner:

Elizabethan lute music, particularly Dowland.

But by and large I was very lucky. My mum loved the 18th-early 19th-century Viennese repertoire, one of my sisters made a decent fist of playing Schubert's impromptus, and another liked Simon & Garfunkel. Only my dad let the side down, with his fondness for the Red Army Choir and records of Stalin's speeches.
 toad 15 Sep 2014
In reply to Fex Wazner:

There's a limit to the amount of Val Doonical and the Carpenters I'm prepared to put up with and that was exceeded in around 1974. I still know all the words to PAddy Maginty's Goat
 Alyson 15 Sep 2014
In reply to Fex Wazner:

My parents’ record collection contained a broad spectrum of decent stuff – Beatles, Stones, Bowie, The Who, Led Zep etc – all of which my dad sold at a car boot around 6 months before I decided to get myself a turntable and start buying vinyl. Great timing. I must admit that when I was growing up I failed to appreciate any of these records and mostly demanded to listen to Dexy’s Midnight Runners on repeat.

So now I have a record player and I find myself drawn nostalgically to the records that filled their collection. I found The Pretenders eponymous 2nd album for £1 in a charity shop a few months ago and it reminds me of childhood afternoons with my mum. Plus it’s awesome. ‘Kid’ is an amazing song.

> What music should we be playing these days that will make our kids think we were cool back in the day.

This is a good question. Which artists of today will stand the test of time and remain undeniably cool? I’d hope my daughter will appreciate the Foo Fighters in 30 years’ time, though I have a suspicion that the cool and future-proof music of today is something I’m not listening to. Like Alt-J.
Fex Wazner 15 Sep 2014
In reply to Alyson:

The one's that really stuck in my head were:

Love will tear us apart - Joy Division
The Boxer - Simon and Garfunkle
Think - Aretha Franklyn
Paul Young - Wherever i lay My hat
Axel F - Harold Faltemere
Beatles - Hey Bulldog
The stones - Jumping Jack Flash
Pass the Dutchie - Musical Youth
99 Red Baloons - Nena

I wonder if they would still have any impact on our kids?

Cheers

Fex
In reply to Fex Wazner:

Shalamar and Shakatak was always in the cassette in the Cortina going up to Norfolk for family holidays. It could have been Van Halen, Black Sabbath and Judas Priest, although I actually enjoyed the disco vibe and it lead nicely into breakdance culture of the early/mid eighties for me. Rock came later when I discovered Iron Maiden.
In reply to Fex Wazner: I think wishing your parents had different musical tastes is a bit like wanting the friends you had as a teenager to have been smarter, cooler and wittier rather than the spotty insecure oiks they really were. In time, perhaps you can come to appreciate some of their tastes.

Though my father and I had rather different musical tastes, they did share a meeting point somewhere in the area where rock and jazz music blend into one another. He was very much a trad jazz man; he once explained the difference between trad and modern jazz to me this way. Trad jazz, he said, is where everyone plays the tune, then each instrument has a separate chance to interpret the tune, then they all play the tune again and the song finishes. In modern jazz, he thought, no-one plays the tune but everyone gives their interpretation of the tune all at the same time and it sounds a bit like a dog's dinner.

He also thought that the live version of Never Let Go by Camel (off A Live Record) was very much a trad jazz formula, and we sometimes shared a few bits of music back and forth between us that we thought the other would appreciate.

Of course, he's now been dead for 16 years and I do miss those occasional exchanges. I think he'd've appreciated Portico Quartet for instance, which by chance came up on the iPod as I was writing this.

My mother liked musicals. I could appreciate that, though I couldn't really appreciate them. To each their own...

T.

In reply to Fex Wazner:

My parents tastes ran the wide range of styles from Cilla Black to Englbert Humperdink. Though my mum, when she was feeling wild and carefree, would think nothing of playing some Petula Clarke.
 sbc_10 20 Sep 2014
In reply to toad:

We are of a similar age. Carpenters, Jim Reeves, Frank Sinatra and Paul Robeson played at a very low volume on a Pye cassete player (with Dolby ) because my dad did not like strident music.
Because it had a decent microphone my Mum used to record her versions of the songs onto any spare c-90's lying around, and she aint no Aretha Franklin.
TOTP was watched although heavily muted and usually annotated with comments like "its all been done before son". (really!!??).
Me and my brother still remember the first Boy George/Culture Club appearence and the ensuing "That's a man y'know' debate issued from the armchair behind an turned down corner of the Telegragh and Argus.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...