UKC

Marking Gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Henry Swandale 15 Sep 2014
Hi

How's the best way to mark my gear. Somepeople use tape but I've heard that that and tip exing the gear damages it.
 Brass Nipples 15 Sep 2014
In reply to Henry Swandale:

Tape doesn't damage it
 elsewhere 15 Sep 2014
Two different colours of humbrol paint, tiny drops on metalwork but a big splodge on the strands of wires. No paint, tippex or solvents on fabric.
Removed User 15 Sep 2014

Nail polish is popular.
 GrahamD 15 Sep 2014

I've used tape for over 20 years
 johncook 15 Sep 2014

On all metal gear, use car paint, away from moving parts, ie. paint crab spines, cam wires, wires etc. Keep away from soft goods until completely dry. Most will eventually rub off but there is always a bit left somewhere, like in manufacturers name stamp or knurled parts or between wire strands. Tape on soft stuff is good and leaves a mark if removed.

I use electrical tape. Colour code by size. Red Small, Blue Medium and Green and Yellow stripes for the Large. Works a dream, especially when re-racking on multi-pitch.
 Rich W Parker 16 Sep 2014

Tough tape with name and contact details on it, pretty cheap too. I use it and it lasts well.

http://www.toughtags.co.uk
 smuffy 17 Sep 2014

Tough tags every time. Did my whole rack about 2 years ago and they're all still intact.
 nniff 17 Sep 2014

Humbrol enamel. In the lettering of krabs, on the wire at the back of nuts, a splodge on cams, etc. I don't bother with slings - they usually have a krab on them anyway

Lasts for years on gear, as does the tin of paint: I bought my little tin of royal blue in about 1986.
 Morgan P 17 Sep 2014

+1 for ToughTags

They are definitely tough and, if you get a few friends together, you can get a pretty reasonable discount off bulk orders (and they don't all need to be the same design).
 RichardP 18 Sep 2014
In reply to Removed User:

> Nail polish is popular.

on the metal ok,
but on the slings, no way, it'll burn the sling or cord
Removed User 18 Sep 2014
In reply to RichardP:

Why would you mark slings or cord?
 RichardP 19 Sep 2014
In reply to Removed User:

one 8 foot sling looks the same as another,
so if you mark all your slings aswell as your metal gear

haven't you even lead thru with someone and all the gear gets mixed up?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...