UKC

Water in my frame when cycling in the wet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Euge 15 Sep 2014

I have a Ribble Sportive Bianco and whenever I go for a spin in the wet I get water in the frame.

When it first happened I phoned Ribble and they didn't appear concerned and said it's normal, just remove the saddle and turn bike upside down!!!

Surely this isn't right?

Anyone else out there got this experience?

Cheers
Euge

Edited... It's OK, just did a search on google and it is a common fault. Also explains why my headset is gritty!!!!
Post edited at 23:17
In reply to Euge:

Happens with my Ribble Gran Fondo. I try not to ride it in the wet. I keep my winter bike for that sort of thing!
 Mr Moac 16 Sep 2014
In reply to Euge:

It happened to my Gran Fondo there is a small hole at the end of each chain stay I sealed them with wax that seems to have sorted things out. Not had any headset trouble the bike is almost three years old. hope this helps.
In reply to Mr Moac:
Think I'll try a little squidge of clear silicone sealant and see if it sorts it.

The holes are obviously needed during the moulding / manufacturing process - but can't see any good reason why they should not have been plugged prior to the frame being despatched.

All the replies so far have concerned Ribble frames -- I wonder if any other makes suffer the same issues?
Post edited at 08:44
 Oujmik 16 Sep 2014
In reply to Euge:

I was under the impression most frames had a small hole in the BB area to allow any water to escape (at least that's what I thought it was for). Anyway, unless you're taking on significant quantities it won't do any harm.
 Dark-Cloud 16 Sep 2014
In reply to Euge:

Quite normal, my Giant TCR holds water in several areas, just make sure all the drain holes are clear, assuming it has them

It won't explain how you headset is gritty though, not quite sure why you would think that, totally unrelated, or do you mean this is another fault ?
 Timmd 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Euge:

Your headset needs a service.
 nniff 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Euge:

Mine fills up with water - no idea where it gets in, but it has a drain hole at the end of each chain stay - I just tip the bike up at the end of a ride and pour it out. I might try a bit of tape over the chain stay drain holes by way of an experiment to see if that's where it's getting in. Blue AC1 (American carbon thing)
 mattsccm 18 Sep 2014
In reply to Euge:

Seat pin.
There is inevitably some small hole where the frames or clamp is slotted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...