UKC

A week off, a van, where to go?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JuanTinco 16 Sep 2014
Hi All,

As the title says we have a week off at the end of September. Have a converted van so covered on that front. Any suggestions of a good road trip with some interesting things on the way would be appreciated. UK or Europe based suggestions welcomed.

thanks

Jon
 tlm 16 Sep 2014
In reply to Jonshef:

I was going to reply to just cross the channel and drive south, following the weather and your inclination - why the need to make any further plans? But I thought it was a flippant reply, so didn't. But then I see no one has offered more serious plans to you...

When I've made trips like that, I've often met people on the way who have given me ideas of where to go and what to see...

How about heading for font? It would be beautiful at this time of year...
 pebbles 16 Sep 2014
In reply to tlm:

I'v always fancied a road trip up the west coast of scotland, ending up at the far far north. got a van now so might get on and do it soon!
 StuDoig 16 Sep 2014
In reply to Jonshef:

Outer Hebrides? You could tour up from Barra to the Butt of Lewis - plenty to see and do along the way (esp if the weather is good!), excellent walking and climbing and all the islands are a little bit different from each other.

Cheers,

Stuart
OP JuanTinco 16 Sep 2014
In reply to all:

Thanks for the replies, I think heading somewhere in the South of France is the front runner at the moment, time will tell though.
In reply to Jonshef: You've got a week, and you want to spend 4 of those days driving to the south of France? Not my kind of holiday! Barra to the Butt of Lewis is a similarly driving heavy idea. I did that recently and took nearly 3 weeks to do it *and enjoy it*, with a full day of driving at the end to get home. Font is a decent idea, but it isn't a road trip, it's just a there and back.

If you want a week with plenty to see and do, and wet weather alternatives, try the south west. The schools have gone back and the roads are quiet.

Oogachooga 16 Sep 2014
In reply to Jonshef:

Ive not long returned from a Europe tour.

South Germany is pretty quick to get to and very handy for stellplatz's/stopovers. Some even with thermal spas. Then half a days driving you are in Switzerland to check out a mountain pass or two. Food for thought...
 abr1966 16 Sep 2014
In reply to Jonshef:

I hired a van for a week last spring and drove up the west coast of Scotland....started in Portpatrick and ended at Lochinver...it was a fantastic experience and i vowed to do it again as soon as possible. Spent some nights in remote places, some in pub car parks and others on beaches. I'd implore anyone to do the same!
In reply to Jonshef:

Would be the North Cornish coast for me, it would give plenty of time to actually see things and places, and to not spend a week driving.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...