UKC

Help: Captions "detaching" in Word

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MG 16 Sep 2014
If I have a figure in Word with a caption and then reformat things by, for example, adding more text before the figure, the caption becomes "detached" and appears in some random position no where near the figure. How do I stop this?

(Yes, I know the answer is "use Latex", but I can't for this!).
cb294 16 Sep 2014
In reply to MG:

Figure in figure box, caption in text box, anchor both to page using the format layout > advanced option.

Or, if you value your sanity, just give up. Let everything float or put text and captions on one page each at the end of the document and insert them in the text body only once no more changes are required.

Even then, I sometimes found it necessary to do the final layout in OpenOffice. Some figures refuse to be tied in place (especially when moving documents bewteen different versions of word for mac) and word will inevitably move them into the footer.

DonĀ“t even get me started on different versions of formula editor!

Latex unfortunately is not an option, too many collaborators on the documents to get everyone to adopt that approach.

CB

OP MG 16 Sep 2014
In reply to cb294:

Hmm, so in summary Word is just crap with figures.

It just randomly moves them all over the place - on top themselves, captions in the text, huge areas of white space. Grrr.

And then it screws up all the cross-referencing...
cb294 16 Sep 2014
In reply to MG:

Yes it is. Still, your best bet is to right click on your figure, go to options > layout > advanced (slightly dependent on version) and then select an appropriate wrapping style, e.g. "top and bottom" or "in line with text". Main difference is then how to space your references.

This should solve the figure placement issues, but may not be 100% stable.

CB

tlm 16 Sep 2014
In reply to MG:

I tend to put the image into powerpoint, add the text in a text box, arrange them how I want them, select them both, group them, then copy and paste them into word, where they act as a single object.

Have fun!
 Hairy Pete 16 Sep 2014
In reply to MG:
> (In reply to cb294)
>
> Hmm, so in summary Word is just crap with figures.
>

It's always been crap with figures. This is one of the reasons that I abandoned Word - many years ago. According to the those who use it in anger (it always infuriated me!) the trick to getting figures to go where you want them to be is to put them in a table.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...