UKC

Climbing in the Falkland Islands

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Timarzi 16 Sep 2014
I expect to be visiting the Falklands as a civilian with work, apparently one of the activities is rock climbing. As yet I've a few visits to Reading Climbing Centre. I don't suppose anybody is familiar with what climbing might be available in the Falklands, or how one might find out?

If there's a better category for this please advise.

Tim
 phleppy 16 Sep 2014
Bernard Shakey 16 Sep 2014
In reply to Tim158:

I did a tour there about 20 or so yrs ago, we had a reasonably healthy climbing scene going on then. There is some roadside stuff, Mount Harriet springs to mind, but we spent most of our time developing some of the more remote crags, some really good climbing,
 MikeR 16 Sep 2014
In reply to Tim158:

When are you going out there? I'll be there from January to mid March next year and am intending on taking my rack and ropes out there. I spent four months in the Falklands last year, but due to not having a rack or ropes and very limited time off only got a few routes done.

As others have said there's a few crags just off the MPC-Stanley road. The slab on Mount Harriet looked great, although I never got the chance to climb it last time. It seemed like there was quite a lot of other rock of varying potential away from the road, although a lot of these places would require a lot of walking/off-load landrover driving to reach.

It's an interesting place to visit, if you get the chance, I'd highly recommend a vist to Sea Lion Island, or volunteer point if you are there in thier spring/summer.

Mike
 Richt79 16 Sep 2014
In reply to MikeR:
Just make sure you obey the signs indicating mine fields and follow the guidance if you end up on the wrong side of the fence!

There is a small climbing wall at MPC but I'm not sure on civilian access to that. What time of year are you going?
Post edited at 22:47
 Merlin 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Tim158:

Stuff goes on Mt Harriet, and a few lines on the South side of Pleasant Peak (bound to be other unclimbed stuff dotted about), but in all honestyt the rock throughout the island isn't great quality, but may just provide some interesting afternoons out.

From overflying the West Island it would seem there could be some exceptional sea cliff climbing, but your chances of getting there are pretty slim.

There is also an indoor wall at MPA which is reasonable.
Timarzi 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Tim158:
Thank you all for your help, I wasn't sure if there was indoors/real rocks etc. I'm still at the form-filling stage at the moment, but I'm planning t be out there from the end of January. See you there Mike!
Post edited at 17:34
 Bulls Crack 18 Sep 2014
In reply to Merlin:

> Stuff goes on Mt Harriet, and a few lines on the South side of Pleasant Peak (bound to be other unclimbed stuff dotted about), but in all honestyt the rock throughout the island isn't great quality,

So why on Earth did we want them back?

Merlin 21 Sep 2014
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Oil, to make petrol/diesel to put in your car to go climbing? Or because it's the stepping stone to South Georgia (the location of the UKs highest mountain)...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...