UKC

Climbing club?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bren 17 Sep 2014
After 20 years out of climbing my interest has been re awakened. In the summer I went to the Alps and climbed some easier 4000m peaks with a guide and I am keen to continue. Unfortunately, I have no like minded friends to climb with...

I cannot afford a guided trip again. Though things have changed techniques and equipment have not moved on that much. I was keen to practise at a climbing wall but you need to go on a course before they will let you on. I then considered a club but they say WE DO NOT TEACH PEOPLE TO CLIMB.

So how do I learn? I am really interested in mountaineering rather than hard sport climbing, bit past that sort of stuff.

Any ideas?
 Simon Caldwell 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Bren:

The reason many clubs (including ours) don't teach people to climb from scratch is that too much time is wasted in teaching people who having learned the basics are never seen again. Bigger clubs, and those with people training for MIA etc, may have the resources to do this, but most clubs are made up of people who just want to go climbing.

I assume you knew the basics 20 years ago though - have you told the potential club about this? Or if you've forgotten, then why not do a quick refresher course at the wall?
 Rich Ellis 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Bren:

Doesn`t say where you are from in your profile.
Try another club , as not all clubs are the same.
Going on a course can help gain valuable skills and can be great value .
A Guide or AMI instructor can help you gain skills quickly , as can a course at a climbing wall.
Not everybody is happy to take on beginners.
Good Luck .
 StuDoig 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Bren:

Hi Bren,
Don't be too put off by that statement, most clubs now a days say something similar. What it usually means is that the club doesn't offer formal tuition / instruction, if you want to learn then you just have to get out with club members and learn from them informally. That's the litigation fearing world we now inhabit I'm afraid.

Most climbing walls will ask for you to either prove or declare your competency, of the two where I am one requires you to do a "course" (lasts about 15 mins) where you are shown how to tie in, belay etc and demonstrate that you can do so safely. The other is a tick box exercise where you confirm you can belay on toprope and lead, tie in with a recognised knot etc. Again, don't be put off by this as you only need to do it once and it gets you access to the wall.

Cheers!

Stuart
 climbwhenready 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Bren:

Most clubs are novice-friendly. Clubs are keen to avoid implying an "instructor-student" relationship, because that puts a legal duty of care on the "instructor" who isn't an instructor, is just a climber. So the point is that you are making decisions for your own safety, although you are probably climbing with someone more experienced, rather than it being "their fault" if something goes wrong. The LMC, down here, will just take people out climbing.

The notice you refer to is so ubiquitous I wouldn't be surprised if the BMC advises clubs to use it for legal reasons, although I don't know if that's the case.
 mrdigitaljedi 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Bren:

Hi bren, fill out ur user profile more, then it might be better if you can find some 1 local to you, who has all the gear and time to show you the basics, or go on a course for beginners at plas y brenin, so then you will have the basics.

There are plenty of us around who can help out who are not club members you just need to find them, your local indoor wall would also be a good place to start.

chris.
 Howard J 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
I agree. Club's don't offer formal instruction, because that becomes hedged around with liabilities and qualifications, as well as taking up people's time when they want to be climbing themselves. This statement is just a disclaimer. However most clubs are happy to show novices 'the ropes', although they will encourage them to go on a formal course. Most climbing walls offer short courses, and if it is just a matter of refreshing your out-of-date knowledge rather than learning from scratch then that may be all you need. Of course, if you want more there are lots of courses available.

I would think any club will welcome new and enthusiastic members, especially one with previous experience. Presumably you picked up some alpine skills from your guided trip, so it will just be a matter of developing those, and don't be afraid to ask other club members for advice - between them they probably have a wealth of experience they will be glad to share.

Don't be put off - contact the club and go along. I'm sure you'll be made welcome. But if you find that club isn't for you for any reason, try another - they are all different and I'm sure you will find one to suit you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...