UKC

New Site Design - Beta Testers Wanted

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
We are finishing off a major redesign of UKC and would like some beta testers. The new design is a responsive web design that works at two different screen widths for monitors, and then other narrower widths for tablets, phablets and phones.

UPDATE - We currently have enough testers and won't be adding any more. If you have technical skills and web design experience then please email alan [at] ukclimbing.com and I can add you.

Current testers - Please can you give feedback via the Development Forum. Currently only a small fraction of those who we have given access to have actually made any comments. We are interested in "looks great" comments as well as in-depth feedback.

Thanks

Alan
Post edited at 08:33
 Simon Caldwell 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

I'll help
 climbwhenready 17 Sep 2014

Sure
 Bob 17 Sep 2014

I'll help too.
 Fraser 17 Sep 2014

Count me in too.
 David Barlow 17 Sep 2014

Count me in too.
In reply to David Barlow:

Ok, everyone above here should now see a log on button for the new site.

Alan

Where?
 Dauphin 17 Sep 2014

Yip

D
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/index.html

On the top on the right?

Alan
 chrisa87 17 Sep 2014

I can help
 Only a hill 17 Sep 2014

Yes please!
 Luke Owens 17 Sep 2014

I'd like to help, interested to see what it's like.
 Mike-W-99 17 Sep 2014

Happy to assist
 Robin Woodward 17 Sep 2014

Interested in helping.
 Gazlynn 17 Sep 2014

Count me in

cheers

Gaz
In reply to Robin Woodward:

Ok, all above now added. The log in should appear on the main forums page next to the other buttons.

You can also see the UKC Development Forum which is the place for feedback and comments. There are some threads already started in there.

Alan

got it thanks

I'd also like to help.
 FactorXXX 17 Sep 2014

I've got a dual monitor set up at home (24" and 17") and using IE11 on Windows 7 64 bit.

In work, I've got a 19" monitor and using Chrome on Windows 7 32 bit.

Haven't got any mobile devices though.

Not sure if that's of any use...
 Gazlynn 17 Sep 2014

Cannot begin to say how much better it is on my s4 mobile phone using opera and chrome.

Cheers

Gaz
 Bob 17 Sep 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:

You can fire up the Chrome developer bar which lets you emulate different device widths or simply resize the browser window.
 conorcussell 17 Sep 2014

I'd like to help
 MikeSP 17 Sep 2014

I can help.
Removed User 17 Sep 2014
In reply to FactorXXX:

> I've got a dual monitor set up at home (24" and 17") and using IE11 on Windows 7 64 bit.

Once they know how the beta works under IE they can thoroughly break it, ensuring that users have to switch to a working/decent browser in order to continue using the site.
 Only a hill 17 Sep 2014

On a more positive note, the design is far cleaner and more modern looking ... and the responsive design works! Good work.
 Lurking Dave 17 Sep 2014

Sure.

LD
 planetmarshall 17 Sep 2014

+1.

I can give you reasonably technical feedback if you want.
 steveriley 17 Sep 2014

Need any more?
 lithos 17 Sep 2014
happy to help
Removed User 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

Is it a forum yet or still a message board?
 remus Global Crag Moderator 17 Sep 2014

sign me up
 Only a hill 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Not sure what you mean. The actual mechanics of how the forum operates don't seem to have changed that much.
Removed User 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

This is a forum: http://forums.archeagegame.com/

What we have here is a message board. Doesn't sound like it's changed though, that 1990's feel.
 Bob 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Removed User:

And the difference is ...

what exactly?

There have been quite a few "Oh these forums aren't as good as XXX" over the years but none of the complainants have ever said why. So why is that better/worse than UKC?
 annak 17 Sep 2014

Yep, happy to help.
 FactorXXX 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Bob:

You can fire up the Chrome developer bar which lets you emulate different device widths or simply resize the browser window.

Surely, UKC want real life testing and do not want people to use emulators and re-size their browser window which has always been available...
In reply to annak:

All above now added. The log in should appear on the main forums page next to the other buttons.

You can also see the UKC Development Forum which is the place for feedback and comments. There are some threads already started in there.

Alan
 alastairbegley 17 Sep 2014

I'll help
 thehugehead 17 Sep 2014

I'm up for testing the site out!
 ianstevens 17 Sep 2014

Happy to help
In reply to Bob:

> And the difference is ...

the other one takes an age to open and is cumbersome to use, the same is true of most vBulletin and other off-the-peg forums. They are also far more vulnerable to hacking.
 Bob 17 Sep 2014

There's reasons for that and I suspect that they are the same reasons that ex0 thinks they (vBulletin based forums) are good. He/she has yet to respond yet though.
 Dauphin 17 Sep 2014

Much slicker, cleaner looking and responsive on a galaxy nexus 10 tablet.

D
In reply to Only a hill:

Cheers!

All above now added. The log in should appear on the main forums page next to the other buttons.

Alan

gav 17 Sep 2014

I'm interested
 escostar 17 Sep 2014

I'll help.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 17 Sep 2014

> They are also far more vulnerable to hacking.

Not necessarily true. While they are more tempting targets (because they have large user bases) they're also much more well tested and thus are relatively robust.

spidermonkey09 17 Sep 2014

Yep I'll help.
 Fraser 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Fraser:

D'oh, cancel that - had been trying to Log In via the usual fields at the top of the page above the banner ad. All ok now.
 JoshOvki 17 Sep 2014

I would quite like to help.
 dmetcalfe 17 Sep 2014

Yeah count me in
 Morgan Woods 17 Sep 2014

I spend enough time on here so may as well
 humptydumpty 17 Sep 2014

me too please
 thom_jenkinson 17 Sep 2014

Happy to help if wanted.
 annakyn 17 Sep 2014

Would be up for helping...
 Howdawg 17 Sep 2014

Id be interested to help
 Simon Caldwell 18 Sep 2014
In reply to remus:

> Not necessarily true. While they are more tempting targets (because they have large user bases) they're also much more well tested and thus are relatively robust.

Because there are thousands of vBulletin forums (ditto for other types) across the web, all the hackers have to do once they've found a hole is create a bot that looks for them and tries to exploit it. I've moderated several forums where moderation has become impossible due to the numbers of automated spam registrations. And the FRA forum was down for several weeks recently when it was hijacked by the Syrian Army or some such.
It's much less likely that anyone would spend their time hacking a bespoke forum, as any vulnerability they found would only work once, and be quickly closed.
 annak 18 Sep 2014

Really like the pop-up notes in my logbook.

In 'find crags', if I put in 'Oslo' and do 50 miles, I get 33 results, but the formatting gets weird after about result 11.
In reply to Howdawg:

Ok all above added. You should get a log in button appearing on the My Forums page now.

Please could we ask for some more feedback on the development forum. So far there are only a few comments. We are after positive comments as well as bug reports and suggestions.

For the time being, I am stopping adding beta testers, however anyone who has a specific interest, and/or technical skills to offer can email directly and request to be added. alan [at] ukclimbing.com
In reply to annak:

Fixed that, that was a pretty cool bug though!

Would love to help out if you're still accepting us?
 annak 18 Sep 2014
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Yep, looks much better!
Andy Gamisou 19 Sep 2014

One request. Please don't use the HTTP headers to try and guess client type, then *force* full/mobile version onto that client. Content providers that does this (such as Facebook) are a major pain. Always provide a button or something to allow the user to override your suggested version and switch to the other. Pretty sure yout designer would do this anyway, but it's surprising how many don't.
 BicycleBradley 19 Sep 2014

I'd be happy to

Yes please!
In reply to AndrewW:

> One request. Please don't use the HTTP headers to try and guess client type, then *force* full/mobile version onto that client. Content providers that does this (such as Facebook) are a major pain. Always provide a button or something to allow the user to override your suggested version and switch to the other. Pretty sure yout designer would do this anyway, but it's surprising how many don't.

It is responsive web design so the browser page just resizes dynamically to fit the screen it is being displayed on. There will be no 'Mobile version' as such.

We are thinking of doing a dedicated Forums mobile version, but this will be at a later date. In that case, we will take your comments on board.

Alan
 annak 19 Sep 2014

On 'find crags', there are a couple of funny things going on with words that have non-english characters...

- if I try to find 'Kolsås', typing 'kols' into the predictive text box brings up one result that says 'Kolsås'

- if I try to find 'Skådalen' then I get no suggestions at all, but if I then hit search I get two results, one correct, and one randomly for 'Outaõ'

Apologies, but if you will allow Norwegian crags into UKC...
Anna
 net 19 Sep 2014

Should you require anyone else to test (i.e. if some of your other volunteers still haven't commented) I'd be happy to help.
CharlesE 20 Sep 2014

If you are after beta testers, try the hillwalking forums, lots of betas there.
In reply to annak:

Hi Anna,

Can you post feedback on the development forum. It makes it easier to track - http://www2.ukclimbing.com/forums/i.php?f=12

I'll fix the non-English character issue.

Cheers.
In reply to AndrewW:

Like Alan said, we aren't doing this to direct to different sites, it is one responsive site that handles 4 different widths.

We only using the HTTP headers it to enable swipe gesture support where applicable and serve different ads (ie. non-flash) to mobile vs desktop browsers.
 annak 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Sorry, I didn't realise there was a separate forum for that! Yes I'll post to there in future.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...