UKC

Paramo Equipment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chrismcd23 17 Sep 2014
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying myself some Paramo equipment. I have done some research and read countless reviews from various websites and I'm pretty convinced so far. I'm now turning to any trusty UKC members who have used equipment from Paramo to give me their opinion on how good this gear really is.

I am planning on buying the Alta 2 jacket and Cascade trousers.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Chris

In reply to chrismcd23:

Marmite - some love it some hate it. It's well made stuff, it's just that for some people it works well and for the rest it, well, doesn't.
 top cat 17 Sep 2014
In reply to chrismcd23:

Great for winter / cold climate use

I've got about a dozen Paramo items and really rate the Aspira smock, so much so I have just bought a med to replace the lge that was a bit big on me.
 Jack B 17 Sep 2014
In reply to chrismcd23:
Yeah, I'm with highclimber. I love the stuff, others can't abide it.

The main downsides:
- Not fully waterproof, if you sit in a puddle you'll get wet. If it rains very hard all day, it might wet through. Though by that point, my friends wearing gore were also wet through.
- Heavier than gore, and warmer, so less flexible if you want to stay dry and cool in summer.

The main upsides
- Breathes much, much better, so:
-- If you get soaked you will dry out again
-- You don't need to keep adding/removing layers to avoid starting to sweat.
- Very long lasting, doesn't wear out and delaminate, and if you tear it on a rock it's easy to repair.

Mind you, I've had my paramo for years, so I'm comparing it to gore from 2007 or so. Maybe it's better now. Softshells have certainly come on a long way.

Edit to add:
IMO it's great for walking in Scottish winter, where you spend a bit of time in the rain and the rest of the time in the wind and snow/spindrift. It's a bit too warm for summer in Scotland though, and I'm in two minds about it for winter climbing. It's great if it's subzero, but if there is water running around you'll get wet. I don't do much winter climbing anyway so ask others about that.
Post edited at 11:03
 Dan_S 17 Sep 2014
In reply to chrismcd23:

Despite their claims, Paramo is not waterproof.

If you are happy being warm and wet, then it's OK. The cut of the jackets and sallopettes I've tried is generally quite poor, and flappy.

Having said that, for cold, dry days in winter, I can't think of much that is better.
In reply to chrismcd23:

I've got an alta 2 jacket, and haven't yet been wet in it despite wearing it in some foul scottish summer and winter conditions, my other jacket is a Rab Latok and I hardly ever wear this now after getting the paramo. Having said that, it's bulky and because of that I don't tend to take it with me if I think it's marginal weather, preferring to just get wet.

Basically the 'waterproof' element seems to rely on you being warm, if you're active and walking about it in you won't get wet whatever the weather. If you sit around in it in a monsoon you will get wet, but then you sortof deserve it!

It is however crap with a harness, I use it for scrambling and wanders plus winter. It can be too warm in scottish summer but in those conditions I'd always opt for soft shell anyway.
 Jack B 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Dan_S:

> The cut of the jackets and sallopettes I've tried is generally quite poor, and flappy.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the cut either. Cioch (based on skye) do other cuts/fits with the same material. I thought they had some off-the-peg ones, but their website only seems to have the made to measure stuff at the moment. Probably great but a little pricey, not that I've tried them.
 Hannes 17 Sep 2014
In reply to chrismcd23:

The stuff works really well but some of the older models leave a bit to be desired in terms of cut and design. I find it perfect for most of british weather apart from middle of summer when it rains. I will generally reach for my gore tex jacket march to november roughly as I get hot but not sweaty and in those circumstances gore is better.
 Gazlynn 17 Sep 2014
In reply to chrismcd23:
I rate the Aspira Smock for winter climbing and although it's a little heavy the Fuero (sp) smock for winter walk ins is fantastic too. Despite what others have said for a short fat person the cut is great too.

cheers

Gaz
Post edited at 12:12
 girlymonkey 17 Sep 2014
In reply to chrismcd23:

Thew newer models are a much slimmer cut and not at all bulky. I love my paramo, and as long as its washed regularly it does keep you bone dry!
It also lasts forever, and can be recycled when you no longer want it. This for me is a massive plus as I feel as outdoors people we really do chuck too much into landfill.
 climbwhenready 17 Sep 2014
In reply to chrismcd23:

Have various bits of Paramo stuff of different vintages. Very happy with all of it (and it's all waterproof! :-P).

One comment on the Cascada trousers is that they are very warm; good for bad weather, but not for thundery summer days.
 Jack B 17 Sep 2014
In reply to chrismcd23:

I've just had a poke about their website. The cascada II looks like a much better cut than the cascada, and are "coming soon". Tenner more expensive though, and retailers may well be selling old cascadas cheap too.
 alasdair19 17 Sep 2014
In reply to chrismcd23:

if your very sweaty it's much better than gtex event etc. If your not so sweaty the gain is less obvious. A bit heavier and much much more durable
 Jasonic 17 Sep 2014
In reply to chrismcd23:

Worth trying on as cut varies widely between garments, very functional for damp weather.
Mostly popular with users- guides, twitchers, ramblers!
In reply to chrismcd23:

I have chunky thighs, not scrawny thighs. Yet Paramo still manage to make trousers that fit like a sack of spuds.
 DaveHK 17 Sep 2014
In reply to Dan_S:

> Despite their claims, Paramo is not waterproof.

> If you are happy being warm and wet, then it's OK. The cut of the jackets and sallopettes I've tried is generally quite poor, and flappy.

> Having said that, for cold, dry days in winter, I can't think of much that is better.

That pretty much sums it up for me. I've got Aspira salopettes and for winter climbing and skiing they are the best things ever. I wouldn't use paramo in summer though as I like to move fast and sweat a lot.

On the water proofing issue any pressure like kneeling down will force water through the fabric. It wicks away pretty quick but that's no good if your under layers have got soaked.
 Siward 18 Sep 2014
In reply to chrismcd23:

I have an Alta II jacket and find than the hood doesn't really pull down over enough of my head for full on winter conditions. The Aspira jacket is much better in this regard because the helmet compatible good is big enough to cinch it right down around the face.

Solaris 18 Sep 2014
In reply to chrismcd23:

I first started using it after a walk across Dartmoor one appallingly wet winter day in the mid-90s soon after it came out. I was wearing Gore-tex; my climbing partner had got his brand new Paramo trousers via a special promotion to AMIs. I – who, like most people then, was barely aware of Paramo gear – was soaked to the skin; he was bone dry.

Once I'd decided to believe what I'd seen, I've never looked back - except when I've omitted to re-proof it, in the Alps in summer, and on warm, wet summer days in British summer. And that original jacket is still in use, and it's been repaired several times.

Excellent gear.
 alasdair19 19 Sep 2014
In reply to alasdair19:

oh and I'd it doesn't fit cioch based in skye do made to measure.
Flatus Vetus 19 Sep 2014
In reply to chrismcd23:

I've been using an Aspira smock and salopettes for over ten years, mainly when walking/climbing in the winter months or for trips to Lapland, again in winter. I also have the Quito jacket for day trips in warmer months. For multi-day trips in summer i carry a hardshell jacket instead. I recently tried the new Enduro jacket, I'm usually comfortable in their large size garments but with the Enduro I'd need the body of an XL or XXL with the arms off a large! I'll buy an Aspira jacket instead.
 doz 19 Sep 2014
In reply to chrismcd23:

Been using paramo for fifteen years ...love it for all things winter... Having to layer up or down through the day is but a distant memory...always warm and dry
But then I got friends who hate it!
 Martin1973 27 Sep 2014
In reply to chrismcd23:

Its like Marmite, you love it or hate it.
 afshapes 27 Sep 2014
In reply to chrismcd23:

I have the aspira salopettes and use them for winter climbing. I've worn them in some pretty crap weather and only once have I ever felt a leak but the moment I started moving it dried up. I'm toying with the idea of getting a jacket.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...