UKC

BMC South West Area Meeting – Swanage bolting discussion & vote

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Team BMC 17 Sep 2014
A special meeting will be held in the community room of the Swanage Fire Station on Friday 26 September 2014, starting at 7.00pm, to discuss and vote on a proposal to bolt the route ‘Fuel My Fire’ in the Unknown Ledge sector, which is a bolt-free zone in the Cattle Troughs area of Swanage.

The meeting will also discuss group use access issues at Dancing Ledge.

Swanage Fire Station is located on Kings Road; post code is BH19 1HP
 steve taylor 19 Sep 2014
In reply to Team BMC:

As I can't make the meeting, am I able to make a proxy vote?

Mark Lloyd 20 Sep 2014
In reply to Team BMC:
I thought the horse has already ,bolted,
 Marti999 Global Crag Moderator 21 Sep 2014
In reply to steve taylor:

Hi Steve
The idea of a proxy vote did occur to me and I would be very pleased to receive any views with people's apologies. But to have an on line vote would turn this local issue in to a national free for all. As Im not sure how I would define a active local climber.
Having said this if anyone who considers themselves to have a genuine interest in Swanage would like to email me with there opinion either way please do so before Friday. Climbermarti@gmail.com (subject light my fire)
 steve taylor 21 Sep 2014
In reply to Marti999:

You have mail...

Cheers ears.
 Toerag 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Team BMC:

Surely there's no argument as it's in a 'bolt free zone'???? Not being a Swanage climber, what's the story behind this?
 Climber_Bill 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Toerag:

The rock at this section is the same as The Promenade, 5 - 10 metres to the west, left looking in. However this section is separated from The Promenade by a narrow zawn, which is easily stepped across. The rock to the east of this section, right looking in, changes after about 5 - 10 metres into the more typical Swanage and Cattle Troughs style of facies.

Conceptually, it can be argued that the narrow zawn is a logical point at which to draw the line of the agreed bolting area of The Promenade. Some would argue that as the rock type is the same as The Promenade, the bolting allowed zone should be extended to include this area and route.

There has been much discussion on this over the years which will probably continue.

Rich.
 Toerag 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Team BMC:

Ta for that.
 steve taylor 26 Sep 2014
In reply to Team BMC:

Has this happened yet, or is the discussion still going on?

Can you post the results on this thread please Marti?

Cheers
 AJM 26 Sep 2014

Wound up about 8pm Steve.
I seem to recall 10:3 were the eventual votes in favour of bolting it.
 Marti999 Global Crag Moderator 27 Sep 2014

Hi Steve
All went very smoothly. Yes 10 to 3 in favour is correct I will write up a new thread with full details a bit later.
But big thanks for every one who Turner up or email there views.
Marti
 steve taylor 27 Sep 2014
In reply to Marti999:

Nice work Marti. Look forward to seeing the write up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...