UKC

camping in citroen berlingo multispace

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Diddy 18 Sep 2014
After two years ruminating about it I have recently bought a Citroen Berlingo Multispace with the idea of vehicle wild camping. I would appreciate any thoughts on me starting up with this idea.
I will be using it mostly in car mode. Not sure how much I will do so don't want to invest in a lot modifications straight away and add weight. I guess I might get the bug and modify later but at the moment to get going I am thinking of leisure battery set up, cool box, camp kitchen, air bed, table and chairs,insulation/screens for windows.
I am fairly close to Brownhills in Newark to view the type of things I need.

I long distance walk (done 13 of the National trails),tent and wild camp a lot in the summer and look upon the Berlingo to get out into the countryside in the winter. Er indoors is unlikely to come with me so just need a single set up.
Thanks.
 Rick Graham 18 Sep 2014
In reply to Diddy:

Perfect timing.

We have had a Multispace for the last 4 years as a spare vehicle/tip trip/firewood transporter/work van/tin tent. Bombproof e bay bargain.

ATM trying to improve the sleeping conversion with some spare timber, got bored and walked away for a tea break.

The first priority is sorting out the sleeping arrangements, then the cooking and finally the refinements like leisure batteries. Bear in mind that any battery near climbing ropes can cause hidden damage resulting in the rope strength reducing to zero!

The rear seats ( if left in )mean that a sleeping platform at 15 or 21 inch is required, this does not leave a lot of headroom. The latest prototype is to take out the seats and try a lower platform arrangement.

TBH its all a lot of faff. I might just treat myself to an Amdro Boot Jump. They are highly regarded.
 pog100 18 Sep 2014
In reply to Rick Graham:

We bought a boot jump last year and I can't sing their praises highly enough. Absolutely transformed our experience of using the car and a brilliant, beautifully crafted piece of kit. We must have slept a total of something like 80-90 nights in it over about 15 months and can't really fault it at all, except maybe on price! it isn't cheap, but in our experience worth every penny.
It lifts in and out easily, can be used with all or no back seats in place which of course how much extra storage space there is, and works amazing well as a campervan, with the table and stove etc.
Initially I thought the spirit burners were a waste of money, you couldn't buy without and they are very expensive Swedish make, but again I am a convert. Bascially very large (2x1 litre) trangia's but so 'docile' that I am happy cooking inside and outside the car.
Before we got the Boot Jump, our experiences of camping in the back were mixed. Basically fine in good weather, though a hassle shifting stuff around to create sleeping space, but a pain in wet weather.
Contact me if you want more info. I am no way way connected with them, just a very satisfied customer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...