UKC

prepared for rescue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
robjob 18 Sep 2014
Hello all

Its been a while since I posted due to a very busy summer but I have kept an eye on the forums. Over the summer Ive seen (as ever unfortunately) a few incident reports, people saying thanks for help after accidents and posts about accidents on the forum and it inspired me to write a short little blog about an accident that happened a little while ago.

As it was a day when I was just out there climbing with mates rather than in professional capacity it raised the issue of how prepared your average climber/hill-goer is for when accidents happen.

For example how many know first aid, how to evacuate a casualty (within reason as we have MR in this country) and how to at the very least self rescue.

No point to make but an interesting topic to think about non-the-less. Be interested to hear how many everyday climbers have put the effort in to learn and be prepared?

Rob

the link to my blog if you are interested in a 5 min read about a Bolivan broken leg

http://verticalpioneers.com/the-rescue/
 Dave 88 18 Sep 2014
In reply to robjob:

I think we all neglect this no matter how much we kid ourselves. I like to think I keep myself sharp on on rescue stuff and other lesser used rope work, but as I found out when I missed the abseil anchor in el chorro earlier this year, and had to prussick back up; it's amazing how rubbish your memory is when you need it most!
robjob 18 Sep 2014
In reply to Dave 88:

Yeah that's what we chatted about as well, many of the guys said that they had some some stuff years ago but it does get a bit rusty after a while!

veteye 18 Sep 2014
In reply to robjob:

A few years ago a friend had a boulder come away on him on a chossy alpine ridge.It could have been worse but he got a laceration of his forearm.

The lesson we learned on that day is that it might be worth having a member of the party carrying a sharp enough penknife or even a razor blade to shave away hair from a hairy arm.The hair stopped us using steri-strips,so the patient was given the option of just bandaging the wound up or of being sutured without any local anaesthetic.He chose the latter and did fine.When we got to the valley a day or two later,the GP in Switzerland apparently did nothing further with the wound.(I didn't go along with the friend as I was too hungry and went to the bakery)

Rob
 Mark Eddy 18 Sep 2014
In reply to robjob:

The more prepared we are the better. We're just back from a day out on the local crags that was mostly given over to 'rescue scenarios'.

Of course it's more fun to go climbing. But to know and practice a few simply techniques should be standard for all of us. Same goes for 1st aid.

Here's our day: http://mark-mountainjourneys.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/scenarios-day-at-black-...
 mattsccm 19 Sep 2014
In reply to A Mountain Journey:

In the good old days we were such much better at this. We climbed in boots and as all of those of you who have done the Ieuan Jones course will know, they make good supports for head injuries.
Seriously, its a sign of the times to some extent. People no longer serve an "apprentiship". Its so much easier to go to the wall, then nip up Cloggy.
I see the same in cycling. Weekend warriors having no idea how to fix a bike or ride as a group, things that the old club system would have taught them.
Of course this is generalising as people were rescued centuries ago but I do think that there is some truth in the idea.
 top cat 19 Sep 2014
In reply to robjob:

Im pretty rusty these days but used to do self rescue days often enough when I was climbing full time. Needed the skills on a few routes too!

Feeble excuses for getting out of the habit: it's something we all need to do!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...