UKC

Alternative to Alpkit Gilet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SuperstarDJ 19 Sep 2014
My trusty Alpkit gilet is now looking a little too shabby for everyday wear. There doesn't seem to be an alternative available from Alpkit at the moment (which is a shame) and I need to replace it in the next few weeks.

Has anyone got any recommendations for down gilets? I'm looking for something to put on over a hoody whilst walking round town or to the pub or to wear as an extra layer when cragging in the peak so it's more important that it looks presentable than that it packs up small or is particularly technical. Obviously obscure/cool brands score more highly

Thanks,

David
 AlanLittle 19 Sep 2014
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

PhD Minimus vest. Not sure about the presentable, but pretty much unbeatable on obscure/cool.
Timarzi 19 Sep 2014
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Coming soon? Perhaps you've already seen it. I've no expertise, or useful experience to offer however.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/filoment-vest
OP SuperstarDJ 19 Sep 2014
In reply to Tim158:

> Coming soon? Perhaps you've already seen it. I've no expertise, or useful experience to offer however.

Thanks - I did drop them a line and was told "We don't have a definitive date...but we are hoping it will be before the end of this year". I need to sort it out before then really. Shame as I'd definitely get another from them if I could.
altirando 19 Sep 2014
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Montane have a reasonably priced down vest - not as cheap as alpkit though! (seen on Ultralightoutdoorgear website)
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

North Face is an old, very well respected clothing manufacturer which wouldn't be familiar to the chav in the street.....

I once got a MASSIVE discount on some finisterre stuff for my wife, purely because I had a phd vest on. It's *that* cool and, to boot, has never been endorsed by Bear Grylls.

Martin
 wilkesley 20 Sep 2014
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

GoOutdoors had some Rab ones in the sale for £50 recently.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...