UKC

RAB Top Bag 100?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Just curious if anyone has used the RAB Top Bag 100 lightweight sleeping bag?

In particular, has anyone used it in combination with a Thermarest NeoAir mat?

Having just invested a considerable amount in a Thermarest NeoAir XTherm I have now found that using it with my RAB Quantum 400 (c/w silk liner) has proved too warm over the last weeks!

For once it is a nice problem to have, and I am tempted to try and get the most out of the XTherm by combining it with a 'topbag' or another lighter weight sleeping bag for Spring-Autumn use.
 Doghouse 20 Sep 2014
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

Have no experience of them but SportsPursuits are selling them off cheap at the mo - web based company.
 PPP 20 Sep 2014

If you are trying to get to 500g mark for a sleeping bag, that's probably the best way to go. However, it might be very cold even in the Summer*, if we talk about camping high somewhere in Scotland. I used synthetic 550g (total weight) sleeping bag combined with hooped bivy bag with no mat. It was terribly cold at 900m altitude and I promised myself that I shouldn't do that again. I used a book as a sleeping mat and out of about 7 nights I was shivering quite a lot. Two other nights at bothies were proved to be brilliant. The sleeping bag had a 80 g/m2 Hollowfibre, 4-channel fill.

* I had some very cold summer/spring nights in Scotland, though I also had an extraordinary night. The clouds were so low that until 3-4AM I covered myself only in silk liner. I was still sweating as it was too hot! A night before was way much colder.
In reply to Doghouse:
> Have no experience of them but SportsPursuits are selling them off cheap at the mo - web based company.

I was already thinking about it, but seeing them heavily reduced is precisely what has prompted this thread
 Timmd 20 Sep 2014
Could you let some air out so you're colder via conduction without becoming too uncomfortable?

I suppose by doing that you could put some air back in if it got colder.

I've no experience of the mat you've just bought mind you.
Post edited at 21:35
 Mountain Llama 21 Sep 2014
your current set up looks warm for the uk autumn, i have the same bag and the comfort rating is -5 C?

I run v hot so tend to struggle with bags, so I just use my bag like a duvet by unzipping it all the way plus I use a silk liner. This is in essence similar to a top bag but you have the best of both worlds and can cover a greater temperature range if the weather takes a turn for the worse.

This is approach is ok in a tent, not as straight forward for bivy etc

Davey
Post edited at 12:55
In reply to Mountain Llama:

> your current set up looks warm for the uk autumn, i have the same bag and the comfort rating is -5 C?
It's 13 years old so probably not as warm as it was but it is only with the new mat that it is an issue.

I also have a Snugpak Merlin 3 rated at +5C but was consistently cold in it in Spring and Autumn (when used with a Thermrest Prolite 3) so this year decided to use my RAB (which weighs the same) all year round.

Either way there is certainly scope for is some considerable weight saving with a new bag.
 Timmd 21 Sep 2014

> Either way there is certainly scope for is some considerable weight saving with a new bag.

What happens if it's too cold? Is there a cheaper way to not be too hot?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...