UKC

Exped sack - POD, Crux, Aiguille, etc.?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr Fuller 20 Sep 2014
I’m on an expedition next year and need to buy a big rucksack for it. Most of the time the bag will spend strapped to a mule but there will be days when I’ll be carrying it fully-laden so a duffel is unsuitable. I’ll have a day pack with me too so don’t plan on summiting anything with the pack on – it just needs to be bombproof, idiot-proof, and comfortable. I’m not a fan of pointless bells and whistles which rules out quite a few big packs, including most of the ‘trekking’ ones.

At the moment I’m looking at the Crux AK70, Aiguille Alpine Jorasses, Berghaus Expedition Light 80, Pod X-Pod, and Lowe Alpine Metanoia. Any others that I should consider? I’m obviously going to try them on but am currently trying to get a shortlist together or rule any of the above out. Any advice or reviews welcome. Cheers.
 KellyKettle 20 Sep 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

I've got the Berghaus, and it's excellent I've used it to carry up to 60 Kg loads (not comfy or easy to don, but remarkable that it's well balanced enough to make it possible). For my own use I would probably get a Crux if I bought again, I don't need the 80+20Lt volume (big plus if you're carrying lots of bulky gear though) and can't help the feeling the berghaus has lots of little features I don't need... By comparison to my AK47 it's not nearly as well thought out.
OP Mr Fuller 21 Sep 2014
In reply to KellyKettle:

Okay, thanks. I do like the look of the Crux bags. Carol's a top bloke as well. Anyone else with experience of these bags?
 Mountain Llama 21 Sep 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller: I use an AK47 for most things. I have had it since 2005 and it's still going strong. I it's a great sack.

For big loads I use a Macpac cascade as it's very comfy, especially the hip belt. I probably would not go for an AK70 as I believe the strap and hip belt are on the skinny side.

Try b4 u buy.

HTH Davey

maxwelldon 21 Sep 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Carol McDermott's other brand Lightwave do a large pack which is half the price of the Crux AK70.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/lightwave-wildtrek-70-p272834

I've just got one and the back support looks the same as the Crux packs. If it's half as comfortable as my old Crux A50 I'll be very happy.
 Solaris 21 Sep 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:
I've had a Macpac Glissade for years (old "canvas" type). It's as tough as old boots, carries heavy loads well, and Scottish Mountain Gear have done repairs from time to time for a very reasonable rate. I don't know what the quality's like now, but they'd be worth a look.

Cilogear crossed my radar when I was planning a recent expedition, but the difficulty of obtaining one easily in the UK + my trust in my Macpac ruled them out for me.
http://www.cilogear.com/packs.html
Post edited at 15:48
 Guy Hurst 21 Sep 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

I'd never buy a big pack without trying it on first. If it fits comfortably and has the features you want, buy it. Many of the Lowe Alpine packs fit me well so that's what I use. I like the look of the Crux packs, but even loaded with a few ropes in the shop they just feel uncomfortable.
Removed User 21 Sep 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

You're not too far from the SE Lakes. Go and see Aiguille at Staveley. Great packs (my other half has one), he will do custom modifications if you want and you're buying from a local bloke who makes the things himself.
 stratandrew 21 Sep 2014
In reply to Removed User:

+1 for Adrian at Aiguille. I bought a Vertes 65+15 earlier this year for a trip to the Cordillera Blanca and carried 27kg in it a couple of times! I'll be getting another one this year which is a Zephyr 47+10 (has really long straps on the sides for mats, tents etc - that might do you - same as a Crux AK47-X and almost identical weight but cheaper and custom made in the Lakes to suit you.
OP Mr Fuller 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Yes, you might well be right. I've got an Aiguille Cirrus and it is absolutely awesome - it's definitely the best rucksack I've ever owned. I was asking about other exped sacks as I didn't know anyone who'd got one of Aiguille's big sacks, but stratandrew seems to have persuaded me they sound pretty good. Any other comments on Aiguille's exped bags? It's probably the Jorasses I'd go for.
 Adam_Turner 06 Oct 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Just to pop up here I have the POD X-pod and can comfortably carry 25kg+ in it. The exact reasons I bought it were for durability and being nice and simple with no stupid straps or excess pockets. In fact I would even say it was literally comfortable carrying 25kg with it on a couple of expeds I've done. I can stand in this thing and comes to my armpits when fully extended!
m0unt41n 07 Oct 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Podsac X-Pod bomb proof, going cheap for size 1 & 2 on their site. Originally I switched across to a Black Ice from an AK47 which I found better design and make for trekking. Then to an X-Pod from an Arteryx Bora 95. X-Pod really comfortable for 25Kg loads, nice and simple.
Would get the same again for expeditions.
OP Mr Fuller 08 Oct 2014
In reply to m0unt41n:

Thanks for that guys. I am pretty tempted by an Xpod and was impressed when I saw one in Outside a while back. The problem is I'm just under 6 foot so would need a size 3, which seems to be out of stock everywhere.
m0unt41n 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Maybe ring up Xpod - Planet X, because the Black Ice was sold out a few weeks ago as they seem to be selling off stock - I bought a size 3 as a spare just in case they stop making them, but I see on their web site they have loads in stock.
 ChrisGroves 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

I'd still try a size 2.

I did all the same research earlier this year and ended up with X-Pod - no competition really. I also removed the internal plastic sheet / metal stays to save weight, found no change in comfort but a bit floppy without the structure / support. Also works well without hip belt (& lid) for going really light. Bombproof and simple

Also have a Black Ice which is the best sack I've ever owned but does not have the capacity for larger trips
 JayPee630 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

No, I reckon unless you have very short legs a size 2 would still be for you. The size 3 is massive. I'm about the same height and went by PODs size guide and got a 3 to start and it was far too big.
 Carolyn 10 Oct 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Another who'd add a Macpac to the list of sacs to try on - they're generally pretty good at bombproof without too many faffy extras. Not sure what the current range are - and the name of a 20 year old women's version won't help!
OP Mr Fuller 11 Oct 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

Cheers, I might see if I can try on one in size 2 then. In any case I'm going to have to try these things on and load it up. Nothing's going to be comfortable with 25 kg in, but if it can be tolerable then that'd be great!
 angry pirate 11 Oct 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:
Another vote for berghaus. The cyclops back system is great with heavy loads.
I used my Vulcan on the Pennine way and carried way too much stuff (mainly food and water) and tipped the scales at 25 kilos and it felt fine. It's carried heavier too when folk in green gear made me carry other things too.
I've got a newer civi style cyclops which is really good with weight but it's not carried anywhere near 25kg!
I would be very tempted to try an Aguille Alpine pack on first if I was buying now though.
 Pedro50 11 Oct 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

I have a 20 year old Macpac Ascent 3 if anyone is interested. Fits me at 5ft 11 inches tall. Mauve canvas and indestructable
 Dave Lucas 24 Oct 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

I have been going on expedition for a very long time with over 60 months of expedition experience and I have gone through many different bags. The one I have at the moment, which is great is the Arcteryx Altra 75. It is very comfy to carry with some fantastic functions including a panel access to the main compartment which mean you can access all of the bags contents without pulling everything out. Yes it is very expensive, so it depends how long you are going to use it for. Click here to see more:

http://arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=mens&category=P...

To read more about expeditions please visit our website www.expeditionconsultancy.com

Many thanks

Dave
 danm 24 Oct 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Having had large packs from both Pod and Aiguille, I'd say that the Aiguille is far superior. Simple, functional and just ridiculously durable and well made. If it fits, I'd get one of those.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...