UKC

Pumpkins and squash...ideas please?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 21 Sep 2014
I have one small squash and one small pumpkin roughly 1kg each.

The other half has an abscess and can't eat much so, what soup suggestions does the collective have?

Never made anything with a pumpkin other than lanterns.

Cheers muchly
 Mountain Llama 21 Sep 2014
In reply to The Lemming: roast in oven with a few toms then turn into soup http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/spicy-butternut-squash-soup-3089

Yum yum
 gd303uk 21 Sep 2014
In reply to Mountain Llama:

yep soup is how I cook pumpkins and squash mostly,
but Pumpkin wedges are very very nice also.
 Tom Valentine 21 Sep 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

I would like to offer something appetising and innovative but all I can suggest after years of trying is either the green bin or the compost heap.
 steve taylor 21 Sep 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I've just cooked a roasted squash curry - delicious!

Roast a chopped-up squash in a marinade of oil and curry spices, then bung it in a pan with fried onions, peppers, more curry spices and a tin of chopped tomatoes.

Don't over-roast the squash or it will break down. Mind you, that might be OK if you've got toothache.
 goldmember 21 Sep 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I cooked pumpkin for the first time today. I give it a good roasting, but it was quite watery.
 gd303uk 21 Sep 2014
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Roast pumpkin wedges? Come on they are quite nice,
 Tom Valentine 21 Sep 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

Sorry, I'm confusing them with marrows. Is there really that much difference, though?
 Yanis Nayu 21 Sep 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Feed them to a cow, and then eat the cow.
 gd303uk 21 Sep 2014
In reply to Tom Valentine:
Try it this Halloween if you like roasted sweet potato wedges you might like roasted pumpkin wedges.
Cut into wedges, add; sunflower oil, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, and roast.
Honestly I didn't think I would like pumpkin either but it was ok.
And marrow I found only did good as a soup. I am open to new ideas myself on that.
Post edited at 22:14
 girlymonkey 22 Sep 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I cook squash and blitz it and use it as pasta sauce. You can add herbs, onions, peppers etc, but also nice as it is.
Also make squash and chickpea curry.
Roast squash is lovely, maybe a bit of paprika over it.
Pumpkins that you buy for lanterns are a bit bland, but smaller varieties are nice, and can be used the same as squash.
Squash is one of my favourite veg!
 Ramblin dave 22 Sep 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Not soup, but this is really nice:
http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/10/spicy-squash-salad-with-lentils-and-...
(skip the introduction, it goes on a bit.)

I tend to use more lentils than the recipe does, and sometimes swap feta for regular goats cheese. I don't bother with the arugula, but do add the mint.
 Ramblin dave 22 Sep 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

And again, probably one for when you've both got healthy teeth, but cubes of butternut squash roasted until they caramelise with cumin and smoked paprika are absolutely great in Mexican things eg quesadillas, burritos, tacos etc.
Removed User 22 Sep 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Pumpkin pie is not to be lightly discounted.
 LucaC 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Removed UserBwox:
Roasted in olive/rapeseed oil and once cool, then used in salad - mint, squash, feta, brown/wild rice/bulgar wheat, lemon, the roasting oil and seasoning.

Roasted and then used with pasta. Softened garlic, chilli, olive oil, and then pasta, squash, Parmesan, parsley and seasoning added and mixed with some of the pasta cooking water to thin to a good saucy consistency.

Used as ravioli/tortellini/cannelloni filling when roasted, puréed, with ricotta, nutmeg, salt and pepper.

In wraps with hot sauce and tahini.

Pumpkin pie with lots of cinnamon.
Post edited at 11:47

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...