UKC

Moving to New Zealand, where to be based?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gingerwolf 21 Sep 2014
Hi all

I'm looking at moving to New Zealand in the next year (I'm a physio, my girlfriend is a nurse), and wondering where people think it's best to be based near to some decent climbing/bouldering?
Am I right in thinking much of the bouldering in Canterbury was damaged in the earthquake?

I'm currently thinking somewhere on the North Island, North of Wellington

Many thanks, UKC Massif

Tom
 Bobling 21 Sep 2014
In reply to gingerwolf:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=590953&v=1#x7810185

Comes up pretty frequently, there's a couple of layers there for you to unpeel (not all of it about the climbing but I think it gets discussed at some point).
OP gingerwolf 21 Sep 2014
In reply to Bobling:

Aha, what a noob, I completely forgot to use the old search box!
Thanks, Bobling!
 ben b 21 Sep 2014
In reply to gingerwolf:

There's not a huge choice in terms of population centres with vacant jobs near diverse climbing options....

Chch provides single pitch in an earthquake zone for those who like to live on the edge; Castle Hill is a world class venue but it's a couple of hours drive.

Dunedin has some trad and bolted within 30 mins of the city but you wouldn't move here for it. 65% of the population of QT and Wanaka seem to be physios so getting a foot in the door might be a challenge. In terms of infrastructure Central Otago is weird: even QT has a permanent population of about 16,000 - i.e about half the population of Glossop; Wanaka is smaller than Llanberis, and they are the biggest towns for an hour in any direction.

The NI is a mystery

cheers

b
 floss_81 22 Sep 2014
In reply to gingerwolf:

My girlfriend and I have been here for nearly two years now. She is also a physio.

We found Auckland is the place for jobs and also a good starting point to find your feet. Physio registration was a bit of a pain as I remember, but once that was out the way she was laughing.

There is a good climbing seen here. Alpine club are very active and there is a small crag in the centre of town. Most w-ends there is a trip away to a crag or ice in the winter.

No crags down at wellington by the way so don't go there.

http://www.freeclimb.co.nz/
 floss_81 22 Sep 2014
In reply to gingerwolf:

One top tip is bring as much climbing gear out as you can. Spare shoes the lot.

Gear here is very thin on the ground. No where near the selection of the uk and what is here is double the price. Be warned!!!
 Bobling 22 Sep 2014
In reply to floss_81:

Sir, you malign the joys of Titahi Bay, Baring Head and Turakirae (or perhaps you've been there too : ))
 damowilk 23 Sep 2014
In reply to gingerwolf:

Christchurch nowhere near as bad as made out! Some decent climbing close by (by NZ standards), Castle Hill great bouldering, reasonable mountaineering and skiing few hours away. The city is slowly picking up, probably going to be 5-10yrs before completely recovered, but perfectly liveable currently. I'd still chose it again. Only other place I've lived is Dunedin, also really enjoyed living there, but for me CCh just edges it out for location and mountain/skiimg access.
 floss_81 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Bobling:

No buddy I havent, I take it that's around welli. The only reason I said there is nothing is because every time I meet welli climbers they moan that there is nothing. They seem to come up to whananui bay or froggat area.

Anyway im down that neck of the woods next month so will make an effort to get out climbing.
 Bobling 23 Sep 2014
In reply to floss_81:

I think Baring Head probably pick of the bunch, just cos it is such a nice spot (if you can face the river wade/swim on the walk in). Only went there once though - loads of trips to a chossy Titahi Bay and the 'rak, where it was always stinking hot, the problems were too hard and the landing was something thorny.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...