UKC

Ben Lomond with a 6 yr old Ptarmigan ridge?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 flopsicle 21 Sep 2014
I've got a trip to the Highlands next week and my daughter is keen to climb Ben Lomond. She's a super fit kid and I gave in when she got from the car park to the top of Thorpe Cloud in 20 mins!

I'm going with a friend so there'll be 2 adults and was planning on the tourist route up and then to consider Ptarmigan for the descent if the weather is tickateboo and all arrived at the summit happy.

We have 2 days to choose from and if the weather is looking naff I'm going to pass on it, or at least the ridge.

Tourist route up and down is pretty much worry free as daughter is used to long walks and if it was a struggle we'd just turn back anyway. The downside is that my kid loves slightly rougher ground and if it's fine I know both her and my friend (who's never been up) would both adore the views from the ridge.

I'm also considering taking a confidence rope - not sure if that's over kill.

I haven't been up since munchkin was born but it used to be a favourite as it starts any trip to the highlands - if you know what I mean. I picked Ben Lomond out because it's well walked and because Munchkin saw it when we had a look see jaunt across the Highlands last year!

Thoughts?
 BnB 21 Sep 2014
In reply to flopsicle:

Can't see it being a problem if she's up for it. Ours were ticking Munros at 6 years old.
 Neil Pratt 21 Sep 2014
In reply to BnB:

I'd be tempted to suggest the Ptarmigan for ascent - it's not really that technical, and any steeper rocky sections will be more confidence insipring climbed facing in. Doubt you'd need a rope - just be ready to give a wee reassuring hand up if required.

The wee lochend make a great spot for 1st lunch

Have fun.
 LucaC 21 Sep 2014
In reply to Neil Pratt:

+1 for doing in ascent, and the normal way down. It would be a much more exciting and scenic trip.
 JLS 22 Sep 2014
In reply to flopsicle:

The safety rope sounds sensible for the top couple of hundred metres on Ptarmigan. It's steep ground and growing kids often suffer from a natural lack of coordination meaning trips aren't uncommon.
 kathrync 22 Sep 2014
In reply to flopsicle:

Another +1 for ascending the Ptarmigan - going up these things is always less stressful and more enjoyable than going down. I would come back down the tourist route.

As for a confidence rope, I doubt you will need one, but only you know your daughter's capability and if you would feel happier carrying one then do it!
 JohnnyW 22 Sep 2014
In reply to LJC:

> +1 for doing in ascent, and the normal way down. It would be a much more exciting and scenic trip.

+2. I took mine up that way when they were around that age....you get some great looks as you emerge over the top with your brood! My wife had a dickie as she always does, but that was with 3 kids. If you walk just behind the wee one, you can watch over them no problem.

Go for it.
OP flopsicle 22 Sep 2014
In reply to flopsicle:

Thanks to everyone for the replies. My daughter's a very obsessed climber + general playground acrobatics (monkeybars backwards, cargo nets from underneath etc etc). The confidence rope is without a doubt for my nerves watching her fly up stuff like a rat up a drain pipe! That said, there's part of me thinking it's overkill - there's 2 adults, she does as she's told and if it all goes belly up we have our very own nurse in the shape of my pal.

I had initially thought of Ptarmigan ascent and tourist descent but switched because I thought it'd motivate the little 'un through the boring bit knowing I was going to decide from the top whether she gets the exciting descent. Thinking about it though, I think Ptarmigan up is probably the better deal.
 earlsdonwhu 22 Sep 2014
In reply to flopsicle:

I usually just used a very long sling for confidence/short roping rather than take even a 20 or 30 metre rope. That was enough for those awkward little steps and allowed a closer watch and advice/verbal support.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...