UKC

Doing Half of TMB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 22 Sep 2014
I'm thinking about doing the Tour du Mont Blanc next year but I might have to do it in two separate stages.

Has anyone else done this by using the cable car system to get from Courmayeur back to Chamonix?
 MG 22 Sep 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

It's *much* cheaper to get a bus through the tunnel. You do get nice views from the cable-car if the sun is out though.
OP mypyrex 22 Sep 2014
In reply to MG:
So it's "do-able" then.
> You do get nice views from the cable-car if the sun is out though.
That's what I thought.

Pete Houghton 22 Sep 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
Very do-able indeed, a couple of months ago I took the lift over from Chamonix to Courmayeur to do a variation of the Swiss part of the TMB.

This hopefully won't be an issue next summer, when the new lift up from Courmayeur opens, but at the moment to get from the top of the Panoramic (the lift crossing the glacier) to the Torino lift (the middle one of the three Italian lifts, the top one now being closed to be replaced) or from the Torino up to the Panoramic, entails a short stretch on a glacier. It is a very well trodden glacier with a motorway marking out exactly where you are supposed to go, but it is something to be aware of.

Insha'allah, the new lift will be open in June 2015, meaning this won't be a problem next year. But, we all know how major construction projects can drag on, so just double check what lifts exist before trying to get on them.
Post edited at 16:22
OP mypyrex 22 Sep 2014
In reply to All: Many thanks for useful info.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...