UKC

Hardshell recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Whitters 23 Sep 2014
Hi All,

I'm looking to replace my Berghaus Mera Peak which I've had since 2002. I'm looking for something which will survive Scottish winter and Lake District summers and I will be able to use walking and climbing.

I've looked at a few things and narrowed my search to the following:

1. Arcteryx Alpha AR or FL. Concerned about only having one pocket on the FL (talk about first world problems...) but also how robust the FL is. With the AR (as well as the MH Seraction) I'm curious as to how watertight the zip area is given that there is no cover. Has anyone had any problems with leakage?

2. Mountain Equipment Lhotse. Again does the zip ever leak? Any other problems?

3. Mountain Hardware Seraction. Probably my favourite at the moment but worried about the zip leaking and also the sizing as probably buying online. Also how good is the Dry Q Elite fabric? Maybe I'm just old fashioned but I am not sure about moving away from Gore-Tex...

4. Rab Latok. Same worries re the zip and fabric.

If anyone has any other suggestions or comments on the above let me know.

Also if anyone has sizing advice (I'm 5'8" and 38"(ish) chest) that would be welcome.

Thanks!

P.S. Re-reading my post I just want to make it clear I do not have some kind of zip fetish

llanberis36 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Whitters: hi

Dont discount other manufacturerd such as jack wolfskin and paramo, may not bé as cool although the jf jacket i have at the moment is the only jacket that is actually waterproof best of luck

In reply to Whitters:

I recently bought an Arcteryx Alpha FL to replace a Berghaus Mera Peak that I'd had forever.

The Alpha FL plus a pair of waterproof trousers looks like a good solution when the plan is to wear a softshell but you want something light and not too large in the rucksack that will keep you dry if the weather gets really bad. It is definitely much smaller and lighter than the old Mera Peak and looks sufficiently robust and waterproof. The one pocket thing is a necessary compromise for the weight but it is a big pocket and usually your stuff will be in the pockets of the softshell you've got on underneath.
 psaunders 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Whitters:

I have a Berghaus jacket made from Gore-Tex Pro Shell and have been extremely impressed by it in it's waterproofness, breathability and durability. Certainly much better than the Gore-Tex or eVent I've had in the past and I expect when it wears out I'll look for another Pro Shell jacket.

It has a waterproof zip and I can confirm that it does not leak*.

(*So far)
 alimckay 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Whitters:

1. The one pocket of the FL, to me, is cutting the features down a bit too much. The AR is a tougher jacket with reinforced areas on the shoulders etc and the two pockets are much more usable imo.

2. The Lhotse is a great jacket, great fit (for me) and good hood. Maybe look at the Tupilak Jacket as well (same fit, bigger hood if using a helmet a lot and just two pockets).

3. Mountain Hardwear Dry Q Elite fabric is basically rebranded event. Whether you think this is a good thing regarding durability is up for debate, personally I've had no problems with event. I have no other comments on this jacket as I haven't seen or worn one.

4. The Latok is a good tough jacket, that sizes big because it's designed for layers. However its a bit heavy, and who really needs all them pockets!?

Regarding the zips they all use the YKK Aquaguard Vislon zip (for the main zip at least), which is a lot more durable and water resistant than the older style YKK water resistant zips that some of these jackets use on the pockets (except the Lhotse). However, they are still water resistant, not proof, so they will all have a storm flap behind. Personally I've had no leakage from this new type of zip.

Personally, for me, all of these jackets would be too heavy and bulky to be carrying around in the summer (possible exception of the Arcteryx Alpha FL). They all seem great options for Scottish winter to me though.
 Billhook 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Whitters:

Zips might be waterproof in Surrey. But I'm not sure about being waterproof in Scotland in Winter!!
 Kai 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Whitters:

Maybe hard to find in the UK, but the Westcomb Shift LT Hoody is light, waterproof, and very breathable.

http://backcountryskiingcanada.com/index.php?p=page&page_id=Westcomb_Sh...
In reply to Whitters:

Go for the one that fits you the best. All the jackets you mentioned have hugely different fits - you have to try them on really.
 ColdWill 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Whitters:
Or this, same as Lhotse but with stretch:
http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/condor-jacket

Or the Gryphon, same again without stretch.

Fit is different between brands quite a bit, try em on, and get over the zip thing.
Post edited at 22:15
OP Whitters 24 Sep 2014
Thanks. I know the zip thing sounds odd but I've spoken to people who had problems with zips without the storm flaps and wanted to check if anyone had used the above jackets and if they had any problems. But it sounds like the internal storm flaps do the job.

Also in terms of fabric are there noticeable differences in performance between event and gore tex?
 hudav 24 Sep 2014
In reply to Whitters:

With regard to the Arcteryx zips. I have an Alpha SV, and never noticed any leakage through the zips even in all day down pours, had it 5 years. Not sure how the SV compares to the newer models, but I find it superb. Really hard wearing, great big pockets, pit zips, etc. It is on the heavy side, but over time I found I nearly always pack it over lighter shells, because if the weather does turn it is just so comfortable, wear if for hiking, alpine, skiing, etc.

Only thing I find with arcteryx is that to fit my shoulders, it is big in the chest area.
 GarethSL 24 Sep 2014
In reply to Whitters:

TBF if you can budget for the Alpha AR, you may as well get the SV. Much nicer cut and more durable overall. I found the arms on the AR tediously long in relation to the body size. The overall fit around the body was saggy as hell and nothing like I expected from a purely climbing cut jacket. The fit around the shoulders was also not so good and felt quite restrictive. Never a problem with leaking zips.

I wouldn't bother with the FL, although lightweight and surprisingly durable, its not the most functional and better suited to the alpine crowd.

You would be looking at Small/ Medium in both depending on how long you like your sleeve length.

The Lhotse is a really nicely cut jacket with a great fit, but also consider the Tupilak and Tupilak Ultra jackets the latter essentially being a wanna be Norrøna Trollveggen, being near identical in pretty much every way (Also worth a look). All lack in overall build quality IMO.

Latok, I agree with most just avoid eVent like the plague, unless you are happy to wash and re-proof regularly, then its actually pretty good. Just needs a lot of care. Same for neo-shell jackets, was not impressed!

The jackets I've mentioned are all *roughly* in the same price range (£300-400) so if you shop around you can get a pretty good deal.
 MG 24 Sep 2014
In reply to Whitters:

> 4. Rab Latok. Same worries re the zip and fabric.

Had a Latok for a few years and used it everywhere from the Scotland to the alps. Seems to work well and the pockets are useful I find. No problem with the zip or general waterproofness but I find a I get a bit damp whatever I wear and just live with it. The hood is not as encompassing as some.
mhart 24 Sep 2014
In reply to Whitters:

I have got a Beta AR, which is similar (in fabric) to the Alpha AR...assuming the cut is slightly different (cut is slightly closer than the expedition fit of the alpha jackets, but not seen the Alpha AR). Beta AR feels bomb proof but not tried in anger yet.
 Gazlynn 24 Sep 2014
In reply to Whitters:
It's very difficult to choose a Jacket that will be perfect for all seasons.

Your Mera peak Jacket lasted 12 years and if you want a jacket that will last another 12 years?

As others have said if you are willing to spend this kind of money on a hardshell then it has to be the Alpha SV.

Yes it's heavier than most but lighter than the Mera Peak. The Alpha SV makes up for being heavy by it's robustness. IMHO This jacket is bombproof.

It will be a little OTT for light rainy summer days but will come into it's own on heavy downpours or cold wintery days in the gorms.

Having said that I haven't got experience of any of the jackets you're looking at and I would like to think that whatever top end jacket you choose I'm sure they all will do the job extremely well. All I'm saying is have a look at the Alpha SV

Good Luck

cheers

Gaz
Post edited at 10:42
In reply to Whitters:
I'd go for something from a UK manufacturer, their models will often be tested in and designed for UK conditions.

And bear in mind that no zip will take a 12hr continuous downpour in the Lake District!
Post edited at 11:00
 Siward 24 Sep 2014
In reply to Whitters:
Have a look at the ME Kongur Jacket. It has a proper storm flap.

'Waterproof' zips might not be quite so reliable 10 years down the line.
 alimckay 25 Sep 2014
In reply to Whitters:

Or the 'old' Rab Latok jacket that has double storm flaps is available on sale at the moment at a variety of places.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...