UKC

annoying cycle noise

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jules699 23 Sep 2014
My road bike is making an almost constant clunking noise with exception to it being stationary or if I'm pedalling slow and up a steep incline. If I stop pedalling the noise continues. Oddly, it seems to ride ok. Any ideas? A mate suggesting bearings??? I'm doing my first trip over Holme Moss this Saturday so haven't got much time to sort it!
 Liam M 23 Sep 2014
In reply to jules699: Is it a sound it's newly developed? How frequent is the clunking?
OP jules699 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Liam M:

Erm, yes. Clunking is almost constant except as mentioned - when go uphill slow.
 Liam M 23 Sep 2014
In reply to jules699: Sorry, meant as in how often does the clunk occur when it's happening, e.g. once per pedal revolution, or every few seconds. I should have made that clearer.
andymac 23 Sep 2014
In reply to jules699:

Wheel alignment.wheel loose/not sitting right.

Wheel maybe catching on brake pad?

Cat eye sensor on spoke hitting fork?
OP jules699 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Liam M: Every few seconds though its now always a regular clunk.

OP jules699 23 Sep 2014
In reply to andymac:

Don't think its the wheel but I'll check,

New pads fitted - running fine.

Cat sensor already checked - clear.
 The Potato 23 Sep 2014
In reply to jules699:

wheel bearing perhaps? can you tell if its front or rear?
OP jules699 23 Sep 2014
In reply to ow arm: Erm...I think its towards the rear but cant be sure. How do I know if it is the wheel bearing?

krikoman 23 Sep 2014
In reply to jules699:

Does the clunk coincide with the wheel going one full revolution?

Obviously not peddles if it still happens when not peddling.

Does it happen if you lift the bike and spin the wheels?
 Ciro 23 Sep 2014
In reply to jules699:

Assuming you're seated, pedalling slow and uphill transfers most of the weight to the back wheel, which would suggest to me that the problem is with the front wheel and disappears when de-weighted.
OP jules699 23 Sep 2014
In reply to krikoman:

No. Crazy eh?
 AlisonSmiles 23 Sep 2014
In reply to jules699:

Wheel bearing? Is there any sideways play in the wheel?
 LastBoyScout 23 Sep 2014
In reply to jules699:
Would have said problem with rear deraileur B-screw not correctly adjusted - means top jockey wheel catching the gears?

I'm guessing problem goes away uphill as you're in a lower gear and there's more clearance.

However, the fact it continues when you're not pedalling makes this unlikely.
Post edited at 21:48
OP jules699 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Ciro:

Good point - how'd I check?
 Timmd 23 Sep 2014
In reply to jules699:
Have you checked the rear gear mech isn't catching on one of the spokes in the rear wheel?

It could be that a small shift in how the limit screw is doing it's job means the mech can move just enough to catch a spoke?
Post edited at 21:55
 LastBoyScout 23 Sep 2014
In reply to Timmd:

I wondered that, but the only time the mech would be close enough to do that would be when he's in a low gear to go uphill, which is when it's not making the noise.

It would be pretty obvious if the mech was bent enough to do that in the first place - he'd be having pretty clear gear issues.
 LastBoyScout 23 Sep 2014
In reply to jules699:

As another random (and probably unlikely) thought, you haven't got a gear cable end (front or rear) catching in the wheel in certain gears?

Only say this as I've had the front mech cable end catch the cranks before.

Can you describe the sound any better - is it a definite "clunk", or more of a "ping"? Do you have mudguards or anything else that could possibly be catching in certain gears?
 The Potato 23 Sep 2014
In reply to jules699:

How youd check for the bearing - see if theres any side to side play in the wheel, spin it foreward and listen closely.
How long have you had the bike/wheel, when did you or was the rear hub last serviced?
 Timmd 24 Sep 2014
In reply to LastBoyScout:
> It would be pretty obvious if the mech was bent enough to do that in the first place - he'd be having pretty clear gear issues.

It might depend on the dish of the real wheel and the cage length, and how things are lined up, and spoke tension, possibly. On my friction geared road bike the rear mech catches 1 spoke unless I tweak the gear lever a little bit, I need to adjust the limit screw a little bit. Nothing looks to be bent or our of line though.

I digress though, this probably isn't helping the OP.
Post edited at 00:39
 LastBoyScout 24 Sep 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Theoretically, that shouldn't be possible, if everything is perfectly aligned, as the spokes should always be angled away from the gears, even with minimum dish - I'd get your mech hanger checked.

But agree this isn't helping the OP...

</digress>
OP jules699 24 Sep 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Okay. I'll check tomorrow. Had the bike bout 6 years. Used intensively. Hub never serviced I don't think...!
In reply to jules699:

Apologies if this sounds patronizing but you just need to find someone who knows what they're looking at to check it out and they'd diagnose it in about 5 seconds. Or you could play at guess the the fault could be on here with mixed results.
 The Potato 24 Sep 2014
In reply to The Mystery Toad:
> Apologies if this sounds patronizing but you just need to find someone who knows what they're looking at to check it out and they'd diagnose it in about 5 seconds. Or you could play at guess the the fault could be on here with mixed results.

true dat!

Plus - 6 years without servicing a hub :s smeg me poor bike.
Id check it for you if I were closer.
Post edited at 22:34

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...