UKC

Thermarest NeoAir Xtherm versus ProLite Plus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iamaclimber 25 Sep 2014
Has anyone got any experience of the Thermarest NeoAir Xtherm, versus their ProLite Plus?

The old version of the XTherm was reported as noisy? The XTherm is more likely to puncture? But if it does, can it not easily be repaired on site using the included kit?

What are the comparable real-life pack sizes?

Thanks
 martin.p65 25 Sep 2014
In reply to iamaclimber:

Have had no experience with the Pro Lite but I use a Small version of the XTherm.
Very happy with it. I upgraded from an older version of the Xlite.

Yes, it has more crisp packets in it to reflect the heat and is crinkly but not enough to disturb me sleeping.
You have to blow it up whereas the Pro Lite is self-inflating (although you always end up blowing into it anyway)
XTherm is lighter in weight due to above
XTherm is warmer R value of 5.7 vs 3.8
Have used mine alot and trashed it about a bit and is still perfectly in tact.
XTherm is smaller.

On paper, I'd say the Xtherm is superior. I wouldn't want to be using it at altitude and blowing it up. However, you do get special dry bags that work as pumps (you can also easily use a plastic bag).
 mikenty 25 Sep 2014
In reply to iamaclimber:

Have a look at the Exped synmat ultra lite 7 also.
Looked at your options then went for this for a week of bivying and camping in Dolomites recently. Worked brilliantly, very comfortable and warm and the pump airbag thing was very effective. Bit cheaper also.
In reply to iamaclimber: Just stumped up the money for an XTherm size Regular last month.

Other than the faff in terms of inflating it I am massively impressed, it is much much warmer, more comfortable, lighter and more compact than either of the Thermarest Prolites (3 size regular, 4 size small) that I had been using previously.

The only thing I can't testify to is long term durability.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...